[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Gristmill Studios Forum • View topic - Tips for script making and beginners.

Tips for script making and beginners.

Spoilers: Share your scripts with the rest of the Xenominers.

Tips for script making and beginners.

Postby IceFireXD » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:11 pm

Since I've come back to Xenominer after my long break, I've noticed that many people don't understand the script commands at all. Because of this, I've decided to post this thread with some tips and tricks to making scripts that do what you want them to do.

Before you start making a script though, I suggest you first select a Macro to modify. I'll just use the scripts I normally use, but which ever you use is up to you.

Keep in mind that all my scripts require me to mine the first 2 blocks, or plan so that I'm actually standing in the corner of what the bot is doing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Mining~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

First is the basic script I use for mining. I put this script into this macro. :botmac1: The script allows the bot to mine a 1 block wide, by 3 block high path.
:botmine: :botup: :botmine: :botforward: :botmine: :botdown: :botmove: :botforward:
The 'empty hook' shape tells the bot to mine, but not which direction it should mine from. In the scripting menu, that's what the icons in the second row of symbols not in hexagons or octagons are for.

Normally I will repeat that string of commands 5 times in that macro (don't forget to add the last :botmove: :botforward: to the macro!), then press ( B ) to exit the macro edit and save it.

Now, If you want to make a script that can mine a 5 wide x 5 long x 3 tall block area, you need to add turns.

I use this :botmac3: macro for left turns.
:botmine: :botup: :botmine: :botdown: :botleft: :botmine: :botforward: :botmove: :botforward: :botleft:

And I use this :botmac4: macro for right turns.
:botmine: :botup: :botmine: :botdown: :botright: :botmine: :botforward: :botmove: :botforward: :botright:

You can use the left and right turn strings in pretty much every script that mines for you.

If you want to the bot to dig up, you'll need to make a macro that allows the bot to change which level it's on. For this, I use this :botmac7: macro.
:botleft: :botleft: :botmine: :botdown: :botmine: :botup: :botmove: :botup: :botmine: :botup: :botmove: :botup: :botmine: :botup: :botmove: :botup:

If you would rather it mine down, it will look like this.
:botleft: :botleft: :botmine: :botup: :botmine: :botdown: :botmove: :botdown: :botmine: :botdown: :botmove: :botdown: :botmine: :botdown: :botmove: :botdown:

This macro is the one I screw up the most often, so don't be surprised if you don't get it right the first time.

Now it's time to bring it all together. Let's make a script that can mine 5 blocks long, 5 blocks wide, and 20 blocks tall.

First thing we need to do is make the macro that will clear each 'floor'. For this, I like using this :botmac6: macro because it looks like a pickaxe. In this macro, we will put other macros, but no individual commands.
:botmac1: :botmac3: :botmac1: :botmac4: :botmac1: :botmac3: :botmac1: :botmac4: :botmac1: :botmac7: :botmac1: :botmac4: :botmac1: :botmac3: :botmac1: :botmac3: :botmac1: :botmac4: :botmac1: :botmac7:

I've learned that if you don't include that second string after moving up, it'll instead create something that looks more like gigantic stairs, than a quarry.

Now, I recommend you actually back out of the script edit menu, saving all your work on the macros.

After saving, edit the program you just created, and simply select ( A ) the 'pickaxe' macro :botmac6: twice. Now save the script, and it's ready to go.

You can use any part of the script on it's own, or multiple times over to increase the size of the box you will mine out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Building~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Building with the bot is a bit more complex than digging. The bottom row of symbols (the ones in hexagons) are only used for building. When you 'edit' one, you pick what type of block that symbol will represent. To get the bot to place a block, you need to tell it to place a block, where to place it, and which type of block it needs to place, in that order.

Let's say I want to make a 5 block long wall made of concrete. I'll pick :botmat5: as the concrete. (this can be placed in a macro)
:botplace: :botdown: :botmat5: :botplace: :botup: :botmat5: :botmove: :botforward: :botplace: :botback: :botmat5: :botplace: :botup: :botmat5: :botplace: :botdown: :botmat5: :botmove: :botforward: :botplace: :botup: :botmat5: :botplace: :botback: :botmat5: :botplace: :botdown: :botmat5: :botmove: :botforward: :botplace: :botup: :botmat5: :botplace: :botback: :botmat5: :botplace: :botdown: :botmat5: :botmove: :botforward: :botplace: :botup: :botmat5: :botplace: :botback: :botmat5: :botplace: :botdown: :botmat5: :botmove: :botforward: :botplace: :botback: :botmat5:

That'll get me a 3 block high, 1 block wide, 5 block long wall of concrete. The thing to keep in mind is that you need to place behind you, not in front, or you'll block your path.

Personally, I don't use the bot to build so I'm probably not the best for tips and tricks to building with the bot.

I hope that this can help some people out there to get an understanding of how to use the bot.
(Restarted.)
Excavation Status (in quarters)
1st: 15% | 2nd: 1% | 3rd: 0% | 4th: 0%
Construction Status (in quarters)
1st: 3% | 2nd: 0% | 3rd: 0% | 4th: <1%
IceFireXD

Return to Bot Scripts