The Super Bio-Dome

Here is where you can talk about and show off your projects in Xenominer

The Super Bio-Dome

Postby IceFireXD » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:57 am

I've decided to split this project off into its own thread over here in the Projects and Showcase forum

The updates will still come about as often as they have been, and the project itself is unchanged. It's just a new home for the project.

I'll be reposting the updates I've already posted over in the "What's Your Project?" thread. This is to reduce the headache of finding the first updates and to more clearly show progress.

The following progress chart is not static. I will be updating it periodically with my best estimate and approximation.
Accurate as of 02/16/13 (mm/dd/yy)
Current Progress on 1st quarter - Structure: 21% / Excavation: 45%
Current Progress Overall - Structure: 6% / Excavation: 25%
(Although the Bio-Dome is centered over my spawn point, my starting area has massive cave systems, so it's a good spot to excavate. It would seem that I just happened to pick the quarter with the fewest caves to start >_>)
Last edited by IceFireXD on Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Super Bio-Dome Project (Restarted.)
Excavation Status (in quarters)
1st: 15% | 2nd: 1% | 3rd: 0% | 4th: 0%
Construction Status (in quarters)
1st: 3% | 2nd: 0% | 3rd: 0% | 4th: <1%
IceFireXD

Re: The Super Bio-Dome

Postby IceFireXD » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:00 pm

I'll be making a bio-dome castle with a sci-fi lava moat, working castle gate and drawbridge, a grand church and maybe even a princess castle inside if I get adventurous.

[Edit: Upon reposting this post... I've realized just how redundant this is. I'm not going to bother trying to have it make sense though.]
IceFireXD

Postby IceFireXD » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:02 pm

I think I may have bitten off a little more than I initially thought... >_>

I've begun the excavation of a 250x250x124 area... My saving grace is that a large part of it is natural caves underground.

Once I've mined this entire area out, I'll put a few layers of light basalt down, then surface regolith to give it a nice look. I'll then begin construction of a clear glass dome to that will extend from the bottom of this site, to the ceiling at layer 124.

P.S. Is bedrock supposed to change height? I've come across bedrock on layer 1 and layer 2.
IceFireXD

Postby IceFireXD » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:03 pm

First, I need a better camera. :P Ok, seriously now. This first picture shows a number of things. It gives you a pretty good idea of the size of this super structure. It also shows me in the daylight, without walls, not recieving incoming radiation. It shows my minimap, 2 steps down from the maximum zoom out, with two tier-3 relays, a crap load of white lights, and 8 perfectly spaced pink lights. Those 8 pink lights are actually the markers I placed at the bottom of each exterior post for this super structure. This picture shows another indicator of the monsterous size of the structure yet to be built, my Super Bio-Dome. The glass you see at the top of the center pillar is actually just the rough-in for the top layer of the dome. I haven't even begun calculations on the shape/size of it yet.

This next picture shows the shadow cast by the tiny bit of ceiling I've actually filled in (which is one 7x121 "fan", I've now filled in 5-6), as well as my first observation tower, and the random red/green crystal checkerboard I built on top of the inital crash site. The pink glow you see on the left hand side is the northern wall post. The tiny 1x1 pillar in the background, in the center of the red/green checkerboard is the central post. It extends to the south the same distance. Also, you can see that I've left my xenotech space ship intact. I plan to actually relocate it lower on the map once I've finished excavating.

Last night, I realized I should do a quick estimate of the number of blocks I'll be removing from this area. I nearly cried.
250x250x60 (approximate number of layers if the surface was smoothed, caves untouched) = 3,750,000...
I know for a fact the caves are HUGE the area beneath the super structure, so a good chunk of that is removed. Let's say that leaves me with between 2.5 million blocks, and 3 million blocks. Obviously, that's still a lot of blocks. Now let's do a simple calculation of what i would need to store that many blocks.
3,000,000 (blocks) / 100 (per stack) = 30,000 (stacks)
30,000 (stacks of 100) / 72 (slots per StoreRite) = 416.66667 StoreRites

Now, the actual number is going to be somewhere around 325 StoreRites because I'll be consuming the ice that I'm mining, and I'm going to be dumping an entire layer's worth of light basalt into this roof structure, as well as consuming materials to create the StoreRites, and preforming repairs to my equipment as accidents will inevitably happen.

Fortunately I have over 1500 High-Endurium Ore, so producing the StoreRites wont be an issue. Though, I was hoping to save that Endurium ore for my sci-fi lava moat... :( Anyhow, you can see that this is a VERY large project. Right now I'm only able to get in about 4 hours of work a day, 6 days a week. So it's going to take me a while. I can post progress images if yall would like.
IceFireXD

Postby IceFireXD » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:03 pm

The update you've all been waiting for is here! It's time for pictures!

Super Bio-Dome Photo Update 2! Please don't hate me for fuzzy photos >_<

First, a little bit of showing off... Thus far, I've filled 13 of these with light basalt...

This is simply a reference structure. It's a basic hallow 5x5x5 cube with a single green crystal floating in the center. I built it to give refence to distance/depth where it might be hard to otherwise see the scale.

Next up, I got bored.

Now I'll show you the current size of the mineshaft, and why I'm willing to make the claim that I currently have the largest mineshaft on Xenominer. 8-)

This is the current expansion to that mineshaft. Reference structure in the background here.

This photo is a bit of a combination of things. It shows another angle on the mineshaft, the arch of the Bio-Dome, my goomba, the rediculous number of lights I have on my map, and the shadow cast by my roof (note the time of day).

Last photo for this update! I figured I've shown all the blocks and what not, why not show the stats too? (notice the disparity between removed and placed)

You should also take note of what layers I was on when taking the photos. It helps to put things into perspective.

That's it for this update. The next update will likely be a very big one. I plan to have completed 1/4th of the Bio-Dome. To anyone who was curious, this Bio-Dome's diameter is 248 blocks.
IceFireXD

Postby IceFireXD » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:04 pm

Mini update on the Super Bio-Dome.

I've decided to begin construction of the dome while I'm still excavating to mix things up so I don't get tired of the game and stop progress all together.

So far I have completed the top 2 layers of the dome (smallest by block count) and I'm currently working towards completing one quarter of the dome. Toward that end, I've finished 9 layers on the top in the same quarter as my mine shaft, and I've built the first half of the lower 9 layers, which isn't actually 9 layers. It's 49 layers... But they only progress 9 blocks toward the center. In any case, I've used over 3,000 clear glass blocks so far, and if my math is correct, I'll end up using over 40,000 clear glass blocks to make the entire structure... I hope I don't run out of silicon...
IceFireXD

Postby IceFireXD » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:04 pm

Another Mini-Update on The Super Bio-Dome.

The sheer scale of this project continues to be daunting to overcome... little progress has been made on the dome itself.

I've continued to work on this every single day, at least 6-8 hours a day. I currently have 26 StoreRites that are full of light basalt (72 stacks of 100 light basalt per StoreRite, for a total of more than 187,200 light basalt), and I have not even fully excavated 1/4th of 1/4th of this project. I will likely reclaim a few of those StoreRites today, as I'll be able to lay down the bottom of the Bio-Dome for about 1/4th of the quarter I'm currently working to finish. The bottom 10 layers are actually going to be solid (layer 10 is surface regolith. layers 9, 8, and 7 are dark basalt, and the layers from 6 to bedrock are light basalt) because I wanted to ensure I built into the dome the space needed to hide conduit.

In conclusion, I now have an ECT (Estimated Completion Time) of approximately 3 months. This ECT is subject to further alterations in the bot's mining speed, and my willingness to complete it.
IceFireXD

Postby IceFireXD » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:05 pm

An update on the Super Bio-Dome.

I've got sad news to report... I had to undo all of the dome I had constructed from bedrock, up to about layer 50...

I miscounted not once, but twice (once in the vertical, and once in the horizontal) and it threw the entire thing off by 2 blocks. I had to remove over 3,000 glass blocks.

This was followed by a series of disheartening set backs.

First, I had the bot mining while I was AFK for about an hour and a half, and when I returned, I realized the bot had only removed about 40 blocks. The "Blocks that are there, but aren't" glitch struck early on in the script...

Then, less than 45 minutes later, that same glitch struck again. Fortunately, I noticed it almost immediately.

After that, I was able to get in a solid 2 and a half hours worth of real progress... only to have it ALL (100% of the work from that entire day) lost when something fell on my 360 and forced a reboot of the system. This happened at 11:48pm. I had started playing at 9am.

I've now come back considerably, and believe that I am not far away from breaking surface for the entire quarter dome.

I've decided that, to prevent any further miscounts, I will only construct 1 layer of the dome at a time. Right now, I have only the very first layer completed. That first layer rises up to layer 25, the second layer rises up to layer 32, and the third layer rises up to layer 38.

I knew this would be a difficult build from the very beginning... but these set backs are really taking their toll on my enthusiasm and my dedication...

P.S. Last night, for no real reason, I made myself an eyepatch! :P T'is only the second thing I've ever tried to create with a sewing machine.
IceFireXD

Postby IceFireXD » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:05 pm

An update on an update.

I didn't even make half as much progress as I thought I was going to make. Mainly due to me not paying attention.

My drive to stick to it is rapidly wilting...
IceFireXD

Postby IceFireXD » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:06 pm

Photographic update on The Super Bio-Dome.

Before I get into the photographs, I want to say that yesterday was a complete loss. I made absolutely zero progress. I didn't even start my 360 up. Instead, I slept the entire day away. I let my sleep debt get a little too big, and it overwhelmed me. I didn't go to work (despite it being one of my most important days to work), I didnt play on the 360. Hell, I didn't even go to the bathroom until after midnight... So yeah, that happened.... Anywho, photos!

First, I'm glad to report that I was able to use a higher quality camera this time. I had been using two seperate cameras, but realized that they both had 3.2megapixel sensors in them. This time, I was able to use a 12.2 Megapixel camera! quite the improvement. Sadly, I don't think it was tuned properly...

This first image is taken from just beneath the roof over the mineshaft, showing some of the curve to the dome, a glowing diamond box I made cause it looks cool, and over near the center of the dome (upper left hand side), it shows the sunlight shining through the top layers of the dome!

This image is taken from the top of my look-out tower, overlooking the primary expansion to my mineshaft. (yes, the expansion is nearly 2.5 times larger than the shaft itself.)

Now this picture shows the secondary addition to my mine shaft. This is from the top of my look-out tower as well, but this looks out along the other side of this quarter of the dome. I'm currently in the process of flattening this area. (My bot is doing that as I type this up) This picture also shows part of the "arm" that extends from the top of the dome, to the bottom. This is to show me where the dome is and acts as the divider between this quarter, and the quarter next to it.

This picture is taken from just above bedrock, on the corner of this quarter opposite the main mineshaft. In the upper right hand corner, you can see part of the dome (first 2 layers have been completed) disappearing into the basalt still left to mine. the main feature of this image is to show the sheer scale from one "corner" to another "corner" of each quarter to this Super Bio-Dome. It's 125 blocks diagonally from "corner" to "corner". (I'm putting "corner" in quotes because circles dont have corners, but quarter circles do.)

I took this picture to try and emphasize the true scale of the dome. I'm using Yellow Regolith to fill in a wall to seperate this quarter from outside, as well as provide some radiation protection while I'm constructing the dome itself. You can also see my look-out tower here, from which two of the photos were taken. My space ship is also visible here, and as you can kind of make out, I haven't done anything to it. Finally, this image very clearly shows the kind of terrain I have to work with... I built the wall straight off the natural terrain. It's not friendly terrain.

This photo was taken from the bottom of my mine shaft, looking up towards the "corner" of the quarter dome. As you can see, I have the first two rows completed, and have begun work on the third row. This also helps to show just how much glass I'm having to use, just to complete one single quarter of this dome. If gristmill had not altered the silicon requirements, I'm almost certain that I would never have met the necessary number of silicon to complete the dome.
Also... GOOMBA! (btw, That doggy looking thing made of dark basalt.... That's 100% natural... I didn't touch that at all. Seriously.)

I took this picture on a whim. It turned out better than I had hoped. XD
This picture was taken from the center of the dome, looking up at what looks like a clear sky. It's not a clear sky. My radiation indicator is clearly not pinging at all. If you look into the part of the visor off to the side of the air tank indicators, you'll see the edge of the dome cap that I've completed in all 4 quarters. That cap is what is protecting me from radiation all the way down on layer 64. (That cap is also only 2 layers wide, which totals 39 blocks in diameter.)

That concluds this Photo Update on the construction progress of The Super Bio-Dome Project. I hope you enjoyed these photos. If there is anything in particular that you would like me to photograph for the next update, please feel free to ask. I love to share.

Until next time, toodles!
IceFireXD

Next

Return to Projects and Showcase