The Super Bio-Dome

Here is where you can talk about and show off your projects in Xenominer

Re: The Super Bio-Dome

Postby IceFireXD » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:43 am

Hmm... I guess you could call this a Pre-Update.

I'm posting this to give a heads up that a new update is coming, but this is going to be a true video update. I've already tried recording it once, but it wasn't until 2 days after recording that I was able to view the footage on the computer. It wasn't pretty... Quality was less than sub-par and the size was tiny. I'll still probably still be uploading and posting it anyhow because of a few things that happened while recording, but that won't happen until I've recorded the general tour in better quality to accompany it.

As far as progress goes, I was able to get quite a bit done yesterday, although it doesnt necessarily look like it. Construction progress hasn't changed really, but excavation has made leaps and bounds. So has my understanding of the required storage... At this time, I currently have 46 StoreRites with 72 stacks of 100 light basalt in each. I only have 4 left with empty slots, and one is being filled. The StoreRites that hold my dark basalt, and ice are also nearly full and will need replacing. On my first mass production of StoreRites, I created 50. All 50 have since been used. This time, I'll make 95. (22 to finish filling the StoreRite I'm holding the StoreRites that have been filled in, 1 to hold 72 more StoreRites for light basalt.)

Also, I have now removed more than 250,000, or a quarter of a million, blocks.

Anyway, I'll give more info in the actual update. The update will likely not be for a few days. I'm hoping to be nearly finished excavating this quarter for that update.

P.S. That first video is a bit long at 28 minutes. It covers a lot, including my away base and the cave systems that were absent in this quarter. Is that too long of a video and I should try to curtail it? If so, how long do you think the ideal video should be?
The Super Bio-Dome Project (Restarted.)
Excavation Status (in quarters)
1st: 15% | 2nd: 1% | 3rd: 0% | 4th: 0%
Construction Status (in quarters)
1st: 3% | 2nd: 0% | 3rd: 0% | 4th: <1%
IceFireXD

Postby IceFireXD » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:46 pm

I've got tremendously good news!

My next update will now be in HD!

I just bought a brand new $200, 16 megapixel camera that can record video in 720p!

I hope to begin recording shortly, and I'll likely be uploading for most of tomorrow.

In conclusion, YAY HIGH DEFINITION!
IceFireXD

Postby IceFireXD » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:06 pm

It's now time for the first ever HD Update! :D

Ok, gonna be a bit weird here. I decided to just watch the video, and type up my commentary as I was watching it. Rather than try and modify it to be more... description like, I guess... I'm just going to leave it as is. It should provide enough information that you can figure out what's going on, should it not be immediately apparent. So, without further ado... Enjoy! ^_^

The video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ep4TyOWim4

And the running commentary... (>_> Yeah... I know it's lazy...)
Spoiler: show
The first thing I'm doing is giving you a really good feel of the size.
Next, I'm showing you the temporary cover of glass I built to block radiation while the wall is being built within the cravass
Next I'm showing the extreme curve of the dome
Then on to the bottom to give another view of the scale and show off the dark basalt
Then onto the main level to show the surface regolith
Next comes the tower, though only half way up
Reveal the main camp castle, including interior
Now up to the top of the tower on the inside, quick view out the windows
On top of the tower looking into main pit, then secondary pit, then the rest of the map
Showing off the solar panel array, followed by a fall to main camp castle
Down to the bottom via the tower tower
Walking across the main floor to show off the inventory. Note: If a storage unit has a storage unit in the lower left hand corner, that storage unit is full, and contains the same blocks as the unit that holds it.
Now displaying the 2 primary storage units, and then showing off the 2 units full of units.
Now showing off the high endurium unit
Now onto the away base
Begin The Fall. (seriously... note how long it takes for me to fall...)
Landed, looking around, finding orientation and running to show the world as it loads.
World finishes loading, heading back to landing.
Heading up primary shaft to away base main floor
Showing off the checkered floor
Now showing the main enterance and the doors
Turn and show off tower
Turn and show nothing else there
Enter building, close doors, and head to top of tower
Show off the construction of the tower and a view from all 4 sides, before heading back down
Show that there's nothing else on the main floor, then what's in the storage unit before heading back down to the landing and beginning the fall all over again
Keeping the camera moving so you don't think it froze on you.
Next comes the weird glitch thing where I get hurt. Not once, but twice.
Heading back to the tower base to head up and repair equipment
Fall back to main floor and head off to show the cave systems
Beginning with the first mineshaft, and the insane dark basalt ore vein (this thing is huge. I've already mined nearly 1,500 dark basalt from it, and I've only mined about 1/6th of the ore... I've come across 3-4 veins that contained over 2,000 dark basalt ore before... but this on a whole different scale.)
Very distinct glitchy moment. (THIS IS NOT THE VIDEO! This glitchy moment is actually in the game. it's becoming more and more frequent, the individual pieces of the glitchy moments are becoming longer [each pause], and they're becoming more and more troublesome.)
Heading off in one of the access tunnels... and the reveal of the large cave
Begin flying around and spelunking
Turn on light (I realized it was dark in the caves >_>)
Demonstrate hovering ability :P
Back to bedrock
Next cave
Getting a bit lost here
More cave
Back to where I was, then heading up, finding the hole I created when I tried this the first time. (the really sad lq video)
Heading to surface, and then to the corner of the superstructure (the thing that outlines the entire work site)
Falling in, and MORE CAVE!
More cave....
Even more cave...
And back to the first quarter's main floor.
Back into the tower, going straight to the top of the top
Showing off the cap of the dome, and the first quarter's top that has been completed
Then showing off the light shining down and the wall that shows the terrain. (these mountains are irritating to remove >_<)
Now landing on the "red corner" to look back at the top of the dome, showing both arms and the crosswalk
Then showing the curve down, following it around, and back up.
falling down to bedrock, just for the walk, before flying back up to walk along the entire length of the dome's current layer as another demonstration of the sheer scale of the overall project.
Showing off the goomba a bit, before heading down to be face to face with it and showing the materials I used to make it.
Then heading back up, focusing on the weird dog thing a bit (NOTE: This dark basalt design is 100% natural. I seriously haven't done anything to it. It's extremely weird), before demonstrating hovering again while showing off the diamond dumbell thing. (I built this cause crystals under diamond looks cool, and I wanted to see how it blends colors in the diamonds)
Quick oxygen refill
Then flying off to the top of the world to walk down the length of the arm of the dome. Another scale indicator.
Finally, back to the main floor after getting stuck in the white crystal
Looking up from the main shaft, showing off the wall before heading into the pod to try and close myself in, realizing I don't have glass to close me in, and video end.

P.S. This update is now outdated. Several delays have provided enough time to make a considerable amount of changes to the map (such as moving another 50,000+ blocks), and because of this, a new update won't far behind this one.
IceFireXD

Postby IceFireXD » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:35 pm

So, Let me get this straight... No one has any questions, comments, thoughts, or anything that they want to say? Not even about the quality of the video?

I'm almost never at a loss for words, but that's the situation I find myself in now.
IceFireXD

Postby kev » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:48 pm

i'll give you credit there icefire that's a few block dug out..
kev

Postby IceFireXD » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:01 pm

Well, I guess it's been a while since my last update, but I've really been grinding away at this thing.

This is not an official update right now. I'm just lettin' yall know that my next update is just a few days away. perhaps as few as 1 or 2 days.

This update will be both picture, and video this time. I'm also going to reveal a nifty Criss Angel-esque glitch that I hope gristmill and co don't fix cause it's neat, doesn't harm the game at all, and can only be triggered intentionally.

Also, I would like to reassert my claim to owning the single largest mineshaft in all of Xenominer. Once the new photos are out, I doubt anyone will be able to challenge my claim.

So for now, I end this here. I hope you look forward to my next update.

Toodles~
IceFireXD

Postby IceFireXD » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:16 pm

Ok, so maybe I got a little over zealous on my timeline...

I'm still working hard on it, I've just been moving the goal posts for the point I want to begin sharing.

I can say that I've moved well over 500,000 blocks now. I can also say that the stats menu does NOT accurately track them.

I have a StoreRite, which has 72 slots, full of StoreRites that contain 72 stacks of 100 light basalt. 72 x 100 = 7,200. 7,200 x 72 = 518,000. My stats say I've moved less than 500,000 blocks. I actually have closer to 800,000 light basalt blocks in storage, and even if you put both placed and removed together, they only come up to about 670,000.

Anyway, I'm still removing thousands of blocks each day and making this pit bigger and bigger. I am very excited to be able to report that I have officially passed the 40% excavated mark (25% continuous, 15% natural caves). I've decided to put construction of the dome on hold for now. I want to excavate the area before I resume construction so that I can build it all in one go. I've also completed a surprise that I will reveal when the time is right, but I will say that it's big, bright, and epic.

I guess that's all for now. Sorry this isn't a proper update. I'm still working on making one last thing look right before I make an update. This should only take me a handful of days to do, it's just really tedious.

Until next time, Toodles~
IceFireXD

Postby IceFireXD » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:06 pm

FINALLY! It's time for the actual update! I got photos, some comments, a few notes about the project, and a video. So without further ado, here it is.

Note: All photos are thumbnailed. The original images are.... huge. All photos were taken last night (relative to this post), as was the video.

I'll begin with the photos.

This is a great angle to show the progress that I've made so far. (btw, this is only 1/4th of the entire site)

This is just another angle on the pit.

These are a close up of that blob in the pictures above. It's a massive deposit of dark basalt. It's not the largest one I've found, it's just a very large deposit that happened to be in a good spot to show it off. Part of it was mined prior to discovery, so the original size was larger than what you see.

I took these pictures because I liked the way the glass of the dome looks from this angle.

This is just a different view of the progress I've made into the next quarter. This is along the perimeter of the pit.

This is the structure I've built up around the initial start point. This will eventually be the top of a castle.

And the flag I built on top.

This is a look inside that structure. I built a frame around the spawn point.

And this is my Centriforge. I cleaned it up from the way it was before. Like this, it sort of blends in. Much more subtle than the way it used to be. I still need to clean up my ESUs though...

This is a nice view of the temporary roof I'm building over the second quarter of the site. Eventually, this roof will cover the entire site. I'm building this one much lower than the first roof I built to avoid getting any Code 4's with the lighting engine. I'll be recycling this glass into the dome.

This is a great shot of the dome that's already constructed. I really like the scale and feel of this picture.

I've realized that the size of the Bio-dome, from the center, is a little bit smaller than the render distance. As a result, I can do this. (Sorry about the second images being so dark. They didn't look dark like that on the camera.)

And now the last pictures of the update. My stats. It appears that the blocks placed/removed does not track the blocks the bot changes. Also, my OCD acted up a little >_>

I've decided to halt all further construction of the dome until the excavation has been completed. It's very tedious trying to remember one eighth (1/8th) of the circle at a time. So instead of trying to repeat this process 4 times, I'll simply complete a full circle with each layer that I add. Hopefully it'll be a bit easier on the nerves.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok. Now the fun stuff. I don't remember how I discovered this glitch, but I do know that you can only trigger it intentionally, It doesn't always work, and you take significantly less damage than if you were to just fall. This glitch sometimes acts weird as well... Sometimes when you land, you can see that you're moving around in little circles. I formally request that this glitch/bug be left alone. I ask that the devs do not fix this glitch. It's fun, and good for showing off. Again, it can only be triggered intentionally. It's also quite funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hadjNZg2HI

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, that completes this update. The next update will likely not be for a while, as I'm going to be focusing on just clearing the place out. I would like to know what you guys think about this project, and any comments or questions you post, I'll be more than delighted to reply to.

Until next time, Toodles~
IceFireXD

Postby tetsuo » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:46 pm

What you've done here is truly impressive. I think the reason that you get so little feedback is that you're operating on an entirely different level - people want to interact with others to whom they can relate, and TBH only a minuscule fraction of gamers out there are going to be able to relate to the type of investment you're making here - most folks (myself included, for the most part) don't really know what to say other than "holy f**k! one guy and a bot built that?"

If you build a project that takes 5-6 hours and post it up - you'll still only get one or two replies, but it will be more proportionate to the time invested :D

If you build something on the scale of what you're building, you're more likely to get appreciative nods from the devs and a couple fellow obsessed fans and stunned silence from the rest! :)

In any case - this is epic. Don't stop! :D
tetsuo

Postby Divine Cerinian » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:06 am

tetsuo wrote:What you've done here is truly impressive. I think the reason that you get so little feedback is that you're operating on an entirely different level - people want to interact with others to whom they can relate, and TBH only a minuscule fraction of gamers out there are going to be able to relate to the type of investment you're making here - most folks (myself included, for the most part) don't really know what to say other than "holy f**k! one guy and a bot built that?"

If you build a project that takes 5-6 hours and post it up - you'll still only get one or two replies, but it will be more proportionate to the time invested :D

If you build something on the scale of what you're building, you're more likely to get appreciative nods from the devs and a couple fellow obsessed fans and stunned silence from the rest! :)

In any case - this is epic. Don't stop! :D

I agree wholeheartedly, I personally will follow this with fanatical zeal. I have always wanted to do something like this in a group, but I never thought I'd ever meet someone who would do it solo.
The seat of God lies beyond...
Only for Love will I live forever...
Divine Cerinian

PreviousNext

Return to Projects and Showcase