need help on domes.

Here is where you can talk about and show off your projects in Xenominer

need help on domes.

Postby superbeastOR » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:19 am

I am trying to create good looking domes for an idea I have for a base I want to build. However no matter what I try they just look wrong. Can anyone help me with how to do this? Possibly using graph paper or something to illustrate how I am supposed to build it from the ground up. I only need to see like 1/4 of it and if it was shown like top down view of each level. I hope I am describing this properly. I will show an example of what I mean in the spoiler.
Spoiler: show
quarter circle templates.JPG
quarter circle templates.JPG (53.1 KiB) Viewed 3248 times

Then next to each section if you could place the number of times I am supposed to place it such X2 that would be great. I need just one example from that I should be able to figure out how to do bigger and smaller domes. This has been bugging me for some time now that I just can't seem to figure it out. Plus all the videos I have seen have been of no help.
superbeastOR

Re: need help on domes.

Postby janx » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:23 am

I wrote up a thread about how to do domes quite awhile back.

there's a methodology to it, based on building a circle on the ground, then building half a circle vertically along both axis, on top of the flat circle. Then filling in the gaps, by emulating what the vertical half circles do at each layer (does the next layer stack on top, or indent?)
The Leviathan Corporation
Director of Zoning, Infrastructure and Resource Control
http://theleviathanproject.wiki.zoho.com/Office-of-Zoning-Infrastructure-Resource-Control-ZIRC.html
ZM Script Designer: http://leviathanproject.host-ed.me/
janx

Postby shadowwraith » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:22 pm

why not try this?

OK it's on a minecraft wiki but can be used for other games as well

http://mconstuct.wikia.com/wiki/Circle_Chart
shadowwraith

Postby superbeastOR » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:04 am

shadowwraith wrote:why not try this?

OK it's on a minecraft wiki but can be used for other games as well

http://mconstuct.wikia.com/wiki/Circle_Chart

I've had the chart for sometime already the problem is not in making circles. I can make circles all day long but the problem lies in making domes that look right. all the domes I have made come out looking like the top is to tall. I will try and get a picture of the most recent one I have made so you can see what I mean.
superbeastOR

Postby superbeastOR » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:27 am

Okay finally got a picture for you guys;
Bad Dome.jpg
Bad Dome.jpg (204.52 KiB) Viewed 3215 times

there you go when I follow what Janx and so many videos suggest this is what I get. I need to know how to get them to look good. Like I said in the first post if you could use some Graph paper and lay it out for me in a quarter circle with each layer marked how many times it's supposed be there. If at all possible using a good sized circle say one that is about say size 27 from that chart that shadowwraith posted about that would help me greatly.
superbeastOR

Postby superbeastOR » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:45 am

Okay I looked at that picture very very carefully and realized what I had done on that dome to make it look that way. Some how I started to place the blocks on the upper part of the half circle in such a way to make Double steps up :shock: instead of one up and in, then one up two in, finally one up and three in. :roll: Oh bother. Now I feel like I got egg on my face for this one.
superbeastOR

Postby superbeastOR » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:18 am

Here it is corrected was a quick fix.
Corrected Dome.jpg
Corrected Dome.jpg (180.2 KiB) Viewed 3213 times

That is so much better what do you guys think?
superbeastOR

Postby BushKillFalls » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:39 am

I tend to Calculate every Ring from the outer ring to the inner ring Separately and then at the 4 Pole Directions N, S, E, W Make sure to Follow the Circles Pattern Vertically Before placing each Ring Individually. This way I find Locations where I have a Hole in the layout where an Added Uncalculated Block should be and adds to the roundness. But that is about as easy as I can explain it without showing you directly. Nothing beats Hands on Learning.
Xbox360 Gamertag :BushKillFalls
Leviathan Project : Officer of R&D
Leviathan Project 24/7 World : Host
BushKillFalls

Postby VaporStrike » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:36 pm

Try this: http://www.plotz.co.uk/
Instead of building a full sphere, though, just start at the middle of the sphere.
VaporStrike

Return to Projects and Showcase