Venators? How do we know to call them Venator?

The place to go for your "50 Shades of Xenos" fix.

Venators? How do we know to call them Venator?

Postby Timpraetor » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:47 pm

I mistakingly posted this on XenoMiner Talk when it was meant for Fan Fiction for developing HOW we came to name the creatures that we find.

• If we're alone on this world ...
  • And Daisy is highly incapacitated ...
  • And we have never seen the ruins before to make a species connection ...
  • And we've never run into the creature before on successful mining (non-crashed) missions ...
  • And there isn't a sign reading "Beware of Venators" with a picture :roll: ...

How CAN we know to call them anything aside from "xeno", "xenomorph", or "unknown native fauna" until such time as Daisy has regained enough of her processing power to assign a name based upon morphological evidence gathered about them or has "cracked" the bot's communications further or deciphered mysterious runes that we discover on more Xeno ruins?

Imagine seeing an Iguana for the first time with NO idea as to what it was, or even what a lizard was. Would you call it an "Iguana" right away? :geek:

It might be a good idea to let Daisy "learn" from the bot in such a way that three things happen -

• We discover additional, underground Xeno ruins
  • There are both written and electronic texts located there
  • Daisy's processing power has been increased and recovered enough of her AI capabilities to connect with the computer equivalent in a rudimentary manner
  • Daisy learns - through long term trial and error - to decipher these texts
  • We then learn basics about the lost Xenos as well as what these creatures are
Last edited by Timpraetor on Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--==--
Tim
- brucoder on XBOX Live, Timpraetor on Steam and Desura
- Grav Boots - The official VDS - Venator Defense System!
True space exploration will become a reality when the governments get out of it and corporate greed takes the reins!
Timpraetor

Re: Vanators? How do we know to call them Venator?

Postby still crosshair » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:04 pm

Who said human kind has never seen them before. Since they are programmed into the PICK. we can assume they have done been discovered. Perhaps we as the player have never seen them but why.Did they go extinct where they were previously discovered because we went to war with them over a rock that we could mine resources from. Perhaps they are rare on another Planet or moon so we leave them alone but programmed their nests and eggs into the PICK so we would know it was a rare creature and to leave it alone. The possibilities are endless as to their back story its up to us players to create it.
The TCD 1471 !!!
Spoiler: show

still crosshair

Re: Venators? How do we know to call them Venator?

Postby Timpraetor » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:22 pm

That was my other thought - that we (as a race) had encountered them on a prior mining expedition.

Also, when we speak of the PICK and Daisy, I feel that we are speaking about the same core device. The PICK is integrated with Daisy's knowledge to identify the materials that we point it towards. By itself, it simply tries to de-rez whatever we fire it at or re-rez whatever we have selected to place.
--==--
Tim
True space exploration will become a reality when the governments get out of it and corporate greed takes the reins!
Timpraetor

Postby Lone Wolf » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:45 am

It's just a name, Just like money it has no meaning except for what we give it. So while the alien race who was hear before us might have called then Xantros (Random namd could mean anything Lol) we call them Venators.
Entertainment Center Completion:

X-Box: Completed
PS2: Completed
X-Box360: Completed
VHS player: Completed
PS3: Completed
X-Box One: Completed
Gamecube: Completed
Nintendo 64: Completed
PS4: Not Complete
[Other]: 20% Complete

82% Complete
Lone Wolf

Postby janx » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:51 am

They are called Venators because they had a contest to name them, and Arclight won (I think it was his idea).

Otherwise, yes, it's just as valid that they have no known name to us, and each player gets to name them in their game.
The Leviathan Corporation
Director of Zoning, Infrastructure and Resource Control
http://theleviathanproject.wiki.zoho.com/Office-of-Zoning-Infrastructure-Resource-Control-ZIRC.html
ZM Script Designer: http://leviathanproject.host-ed.me/
janx

Postby Timpraetor » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:10 am

This had grown stale, but I think that you've missed my point. It's not about how the game named them, but how do we as total (supposed) new comers to this rock know anything about them? That's what I was trying to outline in my original post as a game mechanism.
--==--
Tim
Timpraetor

Postby Lone Wolf » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:41 pm

Well we don't really. Hell all I know about them is they have nests and try and kill me.
Entertainment Center Completion:

X-Box: Completed
PS2: Completed
X-Box360: Completed
VHS player: Completed
PS3: Completed
X-Box One: Completed
Gamecube: Completed
Nintendo 64: Completed
PS4: Not Complete
[Other]: 20% Complete

82% Complete
Lone Wolf

Postby BotBot » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:39 pm

When that contest was up I voted to have user-created names. (I voted for Daisy to display "Unknown Lifeform" until it attacked, then display "Hostile Lifeform", then to let you name it later.)

Since they already come with a name, its obvious that they have been encountered before.

Since they've already been discovered it takes away some of the mystery. This is not a new alien species. It is a pest that space-miners encounter on these kind of planets. I even brought my pistol to deal with this EXPECTED pest.

Xenophobia is the irrational or unreasoned fear of that which is perceived to be foreign or strange.[1][2] It comes from the Greek words ξένος (xenos), meaning "stranger," "foreigner," and φόβος (phobos), meaning "fear."[3]
(From Wikipedia)

The Venator is not a xeno-creature. We have already named it.

In the same manner, if we discovered Earth-2 and it had cows and sheep; we wouldn't name them again.

By naming the Venator, we've made it as mysterious as a cow. (More dangerous, but not mysterious.)

-=-=-=-=-=-

At least the alien structure (which used to be a spaceship), is prefixed with "xeno-". It can potentially be a "NEW" encounter. (although we can replicate some of their technology, which doesn't make sense to me.)

Since the alien structure is foreign and the Venators have already been discovered, we cannot tie them together later in the story.
BotBot

Postby QWERQY » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:56 pm

The Venator is not a xeno-creature. We have already named it.

In the same manner, if we discovered Earth-2 and it had cows and sheep; we wouldn't name them again.

By naming the Venator, we've made it as mysterious as a cow. (More dangerous, but not mysterious.)

Well cows are pretty dangerous...if they fall on you.....
Tales of Antydra: Ignoble. Go read the first two words of "part: 1"

https://youtu.be/nKlvEgRZkrk
Best music ever^
QWERQY

Postby BotBot » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:17 pm

Well cows are pretty dangerous...if they fall on you.....

Until they try to eat me, the Venators still win.
BotBot

Next

Return to Fan Fiction