File Corrupted

The place to go for your "50 Shades of Xenos" fix.

File Corrupted

Postby Conmaan » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:48 pm

I had an interesting idea for a "short" story last night, and I figured I would put it into writing here on the writer's section. I am kind of just writing this as I go, so there will most likely be some pacing issues (I always struggle with pacing when I write...). Nevertheless, I hope you enjoy, and I am very open to any feedback that any of you might have!

Before you read: (I wont spoil too much dont worry) The story is basically a cross between Xenominer Swarm and the original Xenominer, with characters from each genre meeting and interacting with each other. Their ultimate goal is to discover who the other character is and what they know. There are many liberties that I took as a writer explaining how I imagine the Xenominer universe. If what I have written conflicts with any lore already present in the game, I apologize.

Prologue: Signs of Life
Spoiler: show
As the CEO of the largest privately owned Exodrone contracting corporation to have ever existed, Samuel Witkon was the single richest man in the entire galaxy.

He was very much interested in the species of aliens that populated the various planets across the universe. The scientific branch of his company knew everything that there was to know about every discovered alien in the galaxy. They had disected, bisected, and analyzed every single cell in every one of their bodies, dead and alive.

But there were many problems with the findings of the scientific branch that troubled Samuel. Why were the same species found on hundreds of different planets across the galaxy? The enviornments of those planets varied greatly, and yet variations of the same creatures were found on all of them. There was no way that these beings could have traveled through space on their own, and it was incredible how similar the species were. It was as if someone had planted the eggs of each species all across the universe to see how they would evolve...

-[Incoming Transmission From Within the Corporation/Branch: Research Teams]-

Samuel paused before anwsering, swiveling in his chair to look outisde the large glass window that covered one wall of his office which gave a view into the inky, starlit darkness of space. What secrets lay within that darkness?

Samuel pressed a button projected in front of the holo-display on his desk, and an Exodrone appeared.

What business would an Exodrone have with Samuel Witkon?

"Hello, sir. Marine E435b reporting in. I spoke with the Admiral and he wanted you to hear this. Seems that we found signs of a new alien species on a small planet just outside of the Delta Quadrant. In Sector 7."

Samuel spoke into the holo-display. "What do you mean, signs? The alien species is not there?"

The marine paused for a moment. "Well, sir, I'm not sure of all the details. I just know that there was a person found on the planet. I was tasked with the extraction of the individual. The mission was a success. You will be recieving the individual as well as the information compiled so far of the planet soon via a cargo ship."

"Thats all, Exo?" Samuel asked.

"Yessir."

-[Transmission Ended]-

Samuel called up one of his secretaries via his holo display.

"Yes, Samuel?"

"Martha, I need you to do some information gathering on that Exodrone that just called. Particularly, I need you to find out why an Exodrone was displayed as a member of the research branch. And why the admiral would ask him to speak to me rather than the admiral himself."

"Absolutely, sir."

Samuel checked the information of the Cargo Ship scheduled to dock in the Space Station that served as the Headquarters of his company. It would be 13 more hours before the ship exited lightspeed and docked.

Chapter 1: The Origin of a Xenominer-William
He had once come close to moving from the position of a survivor to that of a legend.

Knowledge was what William sought. And knowledge was what led to his downfall.

Stealing classified information about alien species from the largest exodrone company in the galaxy landed William in a one way trip to hell aboard a prison ship bound for a cell on the edge of the galaxy. His downfall, however, would soon become his way out.

The ship crashlanded on an unknown planet in an unknown solar system after a miscalculated ftl jump into an asteroid field.

The only survivor was William. If he had not taken one of the dying Exodrone's space suits in the nick of time, he would have been dead in twenty seconds after crashlanding. But he had survived.

So was given to him the title of survivor.

He, however, was not alone. Daisy, the AI that had controlled the jailer ship, accompanied him.

This unknown planet was just where William needed to be. He knew most of what there was to know about the various alien species, but landmarks indicated an intelligent lifeform unlike any other living on this planet. In addition to that, he found a bot which seemed to be the only surviving piece of that species left on that place.

After months of working, William now had a fully functioning base on the planet with weeks of scientific research stored in Holo-Displays. There was one last thing that William needed to truly disect before leaving that planet. It was the bot.

By now William had mastered the art of programming the robot. It seemed to be able to create structures and destroy them through an energy based particle-manipulation similar to PICK technology.

It also served as an informational-storage unit of sorts. There were many locked areas within the bots memory that could potentially lead William to wherever it was that the intelligent alien species now resided. So William tasked Daisy with accessing the information.

Within the course of a week, Daisy decoded the written language of the aliens and began to access the locked files. The first few findings were not important. There were a few logs detailing information about the planet.

But the more logs Daisy began to unviel the more William realized how strange it was that none of the logs mentioned the Venators, and their habition of the planet. Every couple of hundred feet would be another nest of which William had to dispatch. Did the alien species not see this as a threat?

Then it came. A log that simply said the following.

-[Planet X.
Case #-0.
Enviornment is Hostile.
Condition perfect for the breeding of a biological cure.]-

It became clearer and clearer as logs came in that the Venators were bred on this Planet X. Which could be none other than the planet William now resided on.

But the greater question remained. What was this biological cure that the aliens sought after.

This question bled into Williams mind, infecting his thoughts. Hundreds of possibilities arose.

And so the last log was decoded by Daisy. It stated that the aliens were going to a location around the center of the galaxy to begin Case 1.

The next few weeks were spent building a spacecraft.

Finally, when it was done, William and Daisy boarded.

"All systems functional," Daisy had said in her usual tone, a voice dripping in positivity.

"Lets get going, Daisy."

"Engaging FTL now..." the sound of her voice now sounded through the ships speakers. It was much more robotic now. It fe't to... distant. "ERROR, ERROR. FTL CANNOT BE ABORTED."

"Daisy, what the hell is going on?!"

"The destination calculation is off. Multitasking has become problematic for me. I was thinking about the bot when the FTL was booting up. The ships computer mistook that as me wanting to arrive there." The sound was now in William's ear. Sweet and sad as it always had been.

William was jolted out of the spaceship as his seat was surrounded in a clear glass-like material and launched out into the planets atmosphere. Because of the low gravity, he was shot several miles away before landing on the surface.

A massive nuclear explosion went off in the distance as the atoms of the spaceship attempted to share the same space as the atoms of the base that William had created.

After a long time of sitting in ejected pod, unmoving, William spoke into his helmet.

"Daisy, why did the jailer ship crash?"

"I had been doing research on an inmate. He had been doing research on alien species. Particularly on the origin of each alien species. I had identified Xenos as the origin planet of the Venators while calculating our FTL route."

Chapter 2: Martha's Discovery
Martha was one of the best forensics investigators on the planet.

Her job was to uncover information about whoever it was that Samuel asked her to. This often involved finding people who did not exist, according to public records.

What Martha was required of, was to search an ocean of infinite information, and find a single piece of data.

After about an hour of sifting through files, Martha came across Marine E435b's records. But for some strange reason, no information within the file could be accessed.

Authorization was restricted, by the Admiral himself.

Martha considered calling up Samuel to ask him whether she should attempt to access the information. She even went so far as to pull up the calling screen on the holo-display. But she exited out, instead.

Martha knew what Sam's response would be. He would have said yes. No need to unnecessarily interrupt him while he broods.

Gaining access to the information was actually quite easy. Martha modified her profile to resemble that of the Admiral's, and proceeded to allow herself access.

On looking over the data, everything seemed normal for an Exodrone. But there was one problem. A single file was unnaccessable. Whenever one attempted to access the information within the file, the message "File Corrupted" appeared. The file name was Documentation From the Admiral.

Strange. It was as if someone had gone in and set a virus within the file, utterly destroying any evidence of it. On top of that, this was the only mention of the Admiral in all of 435b's profile.

Who was responsible for corrupting the file?

What was the Admiral documenting?

And how is the Exodrone involved?

Martha stirred the ocean of information, uncovering a number of useless data that gave little to no information about who Marine E435b really was.

Samuel called Martha up just over another hour later.

"Anything yet?" he inquired.

Martha shook her head.

Samuel left the conversation without so much as a nod.

Martha decided that observing information directly linked to the Exodrone was a dead end, and so she began to do some snooping around in the Research Branch's files.

After some time Martha came across the perfect lead. There seemed to be a project that reffered to a subject as an "Exodrone" who knew the Admiral very well.

The issue was in the vagueness and extent of what was written. It would take years to sift through all the information gathered, especially considering half of what was written was in code.

By the time that the Cargo Ship arrived, Martha had read enough to realize that there was much more to Marine E435b then met the eye. He was most certainly the subject reffered to in the project description.
Last edited by Conmaan on Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:57 am, edited 5 times in total.
Conmaan

Re: File Corrupted

Postby still crosshair » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:19 pm

Sounds pretty cool and I always enjoy more fan fiction.
The TCD 1471 !!!

still crosshair

Postby Conmaan » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:11 pm

still crosshair wrote:Sounds pretty cool and I always enjoy more fan fiction.

Thanks! What I'm posting on here is really rough draft stuff, though. The pacing, as I suspected it would be, is too fast. And the character development is kind of meh. But hopefully once I get a few more chapters out and realize where it is I'm going with the plot I can start revising the problems with the writing.
Conmaan

Postby Conmaan » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:35 am

Chapter 1 is now finished. Its about twice the length of the prologue. Im pretty satisfied with it.

Now that both of the characters have been laid out, I can begin work on the PLOT of the real story.
Conmaan

Postby still crosshair » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:24 am

Conmaan wrote:Chapter 1 is now finished. Its about twice the length of the prologue. Im pretty satisfied with it.

Now that both of the characters have been laid out, I can begin work on the PLOT of the real story.

Seems great but now I am waiting for some random thing to happen to someone. Like R-124 randomly teleporting into Williams sight of view then vanishing again to somewhere unknown.
The TCD 1471 !!!

still crosshair

Postby Conmaan » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:56 am

still crosshair wrote:
Conmaan wrote:Chapter 1 is now finished. Its about twice the length of the prologue. Im pretty satisfied with it.

Seems great but now I am waiting for some random thing to happen to someone. Like R-124 randomly teleporting into Williams sight of view then vanishing again to somewhere unknown.

Its E435b. Jeez :lol:
Conmaan

Postby Conmaan » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:31 am

Ive started work on Chapter 2. It isnt even close to being finished yet, though.
Conmaan

Postby BriarFae » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:54 am

Comment on chapter 2 so far...
A investigator using a search engine?
"If it were easy, everyone would do it."
if you can read this your to close
BriarFae

Postby Conmaan » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:28 pm

BriarFae wrote:Comment on chapter 2 so far...
A investigator using a search engine?
"If it were easy, everyone would do it."

Everything is stored on the internet nowathese days. There are entire branches of the FBI and CIA dedicated towards online investigation.

I admit that my wording was a bit poor though. I assure you that she isnt just googling the information lol
Conmaan

Postby Conmaan » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:43 pm

Also, I typed that out at 3 in the morning. I was by no means at my best.
Conmaan

Next

Return to Fan Fiction