XenoMiner Universe Expanding - "DownGate: ExoDrone Wars"

Announcements relating to Downgate.

Re: XenoMiner Universe Expanding - "DownGate: ExoDrone Wars"

Postby Timpraetor » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:07 pm

Gristmill wrote:What will it cost?

$1 on Xbox 360. IF we move it to PC/Xbox One/PS4 we might consider a Free to Play approach, so that more people can access the game (we know a lot of our fans just don't have the cash, or are younger and can't always freely buy a game at cost) and so that those superfans that really like to support Gristmill can "buy in" to the experience as much as they like. We're still feeling that out, so consider that a thought and not a promise or prediction - obviously we're open to discussion on the matter.

... and this is one thing that I have always disagreed with. $1 really "lowers" the buyers' expectations - what good can you get for $1. Additionally, as witnessed in some of the comments about the $9.99 Desura price, it adds confusion to the disparity in the prices for the two platforms.

Having been in the software business for over 28 years, there is an important rule to setting prices that I've learned - you can always lower prices later, but once a low-ball figure is set, it's always a major nightmare to raise prices. I (and many others) believe that XenoMiner is every bit as good as Limbo - with far longer life through almost unlimited re-playability. Why should it cost so much less? My early adopter purchase is my vote as to the value of what you guys are doing. While not everyone agrees with that level of pricing, I suspect that everyone would agree that $1 is far less than the value provided by the game.

Since the XNA Indie level allows for pricing up to $4, I would urge you to set that as the starting price for DownGate. Also, I'd raise the pricing of XenoMiner to $2. Neither price is a "break the bank" price (some will complain, but these are people that ultimately want everything for free), but most new purchasers won't balk at $2. These small changes will provide a much higher (double or quadruple) revenue stream and also add a bit more legitimacy to the Gristmill efforts. Gristmill is becoming a REAL game studio and pricing things at unreasonably low values takes away from that positioning.

Finally, I would also recommend that you start working toward Arcade level and leave the "Indie" entry level behind. This gets you both a higher reputation with gamers on Live and also brings far more marketing opportunities to bear from Microsoft's Live team.
--==--
Tim
- brucoder on XBOX Live, Timpraetor on Steam and Desura
- Grav Boots - The official VDS - Venator Defense System!
True space exploration will become a reality when the governments get out of it and corporate greed takes the reins!
Timpraetor

Postby Zorgborg242 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:17 pm

Timpraetor wrote:
Gristmill wrote:What will it cost?

$1 on Xbox 360. IF we move it to PC/Xbox One/PS4 we might consider a Free to Play approach, so that more people can access the game (we know a lot of our fans just don't have the cash, or are younger and can't always freely buy a game at cost) and so that those superfans that really like to support Gristmill can "buy in" to the experience as much as they like. We're still feeling that out, so consider that a thought and not a promise or prediction - obviously we're open to discussion on the matter.

... and this is one thing that I have always disagreed with. $1 really "lowers" the buyers' expectations - what good can you get for $1. Additionally, as witnessed in some of the comments about the $9.99 Desura price, it adds confusion to the disparity in the prices for the two platforms.

Having been in the software business for over 28 years, there is an important rule to setting prices that I've learned - you can always lower prices later, but once a low-ball figure is set, it's always a major nightmare to raise prices. I (and many others) believe that XenoMiner is every bit as good as Limbo - with far longer life through almost unlimited re-playability. Why should it cost so much less? My early adopter purchase is my vote as to the value of what you guys are doing. While not everyone agrees with that level of pricing, I suspect that everyone would agree that $1 is far less than the value provided by the game.

Since the XNA Indie level allows for pricing up to $4, I would urge you to set that as the starting price for DownGate. Also, I'd raise the pricing of XenoMiner to $2. Neither price is a "break the bank" price (some will complain, but these are people that ultimately want everything for free), but most new purchasers won't balk at $2. These small changes will provide a much higher (double or quadruple) revenue stream and also add a bit more legitimacy to the Gristmill efforts. Gristmill is becoming a REAL game studio and pricing things at unreasonably low values takes away from that positioning.

Finally, I would also recommend that you start working toward Arcade level and leave the "Indie" entry level behind. This gets you both a higher reputation with gamers on Live and also brings far more marketing opportunities to bear from Microsoft's Live team.

Agreed,Most gamers might think it's another cheap indie game on the Xbox market place that are below average.But this game is at least a 15$ game.
"Ultron,Getting resources for you,and only you"
Zorgborg242

Postby still crosshair » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:05 pm

Hey since this is a new game will you be adding it onto you website? Currently only devil song; ZPOC; and Etch are listed other than xenominer of course.
The TCD 1471 !!!
Spoiler: show

still crosshair

Postby LUMPdizzle666 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:42 am

<cough cough> when can i buy it <cough> :D
LUMPdizzle666

Previous

Return to Downgate Announcements