Thoughts on DownGate: ExoDrone Wars

Discussions related directly to Downgate

Re: Thoughts on DownGate: ExoDrone Wars

Postby still crosshair » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:38 pm

jon22 wrote:So that code is for Xenominer. Played again this time with more people including Gristmill devs. Pretty fun with the grav boots. I think the levels are random as I played 3 stages not in single player mode.

P.S Any chance that radar with named locations appearing in Xenominer? Very nice radar dat is :mrgreen:

that radar sure is and yea I figured there would be more areas in MP. I have only played the demo so far.
The TCD 1471 !!!
Spoiler: show

still crosshair

Postby Gristmill » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:28 am

I don't think you're giving it a fair shake Johnny, there's lots of great gameplay here that isn't anywhere in any other game. 9 ammo types? Come on, it's hella fun, all your friends are playing it, and friendship is magic. Come and help us make this game a hit ;)
Gristmill
Site Admin

Postby jon22 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:57 am

It's true. I had more fun nearly killing myself with the grav boots than playing seriously...then again I'm not very good :( But when you can rain fire while whizzing around with a jetpack who cares (love the flamethrower)
Gamertag: jon221985. I'm not a hardcore player but if I am not really doing much I am willing to help with mining or guarding against Venators. Message me and I will let you know if I am able to help. I also have a mic too.
jon22

Postby still crosshair » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:44 am

jon22 wrote:It's true. I had more fun nearly killing myself with the grav boots than playing seriously...then again I'm not very good :( But when you can rain fire while whizzing around with a jetpack who cares (love the flamethrower)

The idea of a flamethrower is space is crazy but then when you think of how it kills them than it actually makes some sense. Your not trying to set them on fire but trying to heat up that armor till it starts to hurt them. So the fire goes out because there is not enough Oxygen but the heat stays trapped in the armor. But yea the jet pack is ok and I enjoy exploring the maps more than fighting on them.
The TCD 1471 !!!

still crosshair

Postby JohnnyBlood » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:01 am

Gristmill wrote:I don't think you're giving it a fair shake Johnny, there's lots of great gameplay here that isn't anywhere in any other game. 9 ammo types? Come on, it's hella fun, all your friends are playing it, and friendship is magic. Come and help us make this game a hit ;)

well if you look at murder miners I think you'll understand why i dont see the game as innovative. I like xenominer because i like building. Is there a map creator because i couldn't find one? I don't mind giving a dollar to support you guys, but the game feels like Bungie's Halo 3 ODST, a side project that I'll play while I wait for a real Halo game to come out. I don't mean to be harsh but, ...actually yeah i do. I will not sit here while you surround yourself with "yes" men. Someone needs to tell you when something is wrong. Xenominer was a great idea with huge potential as a survivor in space. But this is just murder miners with unlockables and jetpacks. The only potential i see from this game is that the AI can be used for xenominer.
Leroy T. Pumpkin
JohnnyBlood

Postby Gristmill » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:16 am

these aren't yes men, and please don't act like we're a clone of a halo clone. We wanted to make an fps, and that's what this is. let's not pretend that murder miners is somehow now the only fps there is.
Gristmill
Site Admin

Postby janx » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:29 am

Speaking of Yes Men, I finally got a chance to play it, and I have thoughts. Many of them.

Here's the good:

I had fun. it reminded me of Tribes: Aerial Assault on the PS2 with the jet pack combat and of Red Faction 2's destructible terrain. I've got a lengthy list of faults with the game, but I did play from after dinner to bed time. So the game kept my attention, despite the things that irked me.

Here's the bad:

Menu UI is harder to use
Grist and I have talked about this before and they know the menuing was weak on Xeno, and the same problem is here. I think I've identified the key factors to what bugs me about them.

Selected menu item is hard to differentiate. This is because the primary difference between a selected item is it is yellow instead of white. That's not obvious from 6 feet back on a couch. Most video games highlight the selected item in multiple ways, they make it bigger, a completely different color (background included). They also avoid using menus where controller buttons will do.

Binary choice menus that suffer from "not-obviously selected" syndrome confuse the crap out of me. I sit there second guessing whether I'm about to choose Yes or No. I don't have that problem in CoD because they tell me to press A to continue or B to cancel. The game options should be written for a game controller, not a Windows user with a mouse.

Don't put a Save button in the game settings menu. The user goes into options, makes a change, and hits B to back out, with selections saved right then and there.

Don't make me select a Drone right after dying by using the same controls I was just flailing madly on. Dying and respawning prompting is so instantaneous that my last action trying to avenge myself is moving the selection for what drone to select. Gimme a second. Throw up an intermediary screen that says "Bob killed me" with a count-down (lots of death match games have that delay). Then present me with a decision on which drone to re-spawn with so my final twitch isn't selecting the useless Marine when I need my Engineer.

General UI oddness

Give me the same drone edit screen in the game between matches as I get from the Manage Drones menu. I want to see how much XP I have. I couldn't tell from within the match.

Stop prompting me for what drive to save game files to. I should get this prompt once when I launch the game. Instead, I get it whenever I exit a match, and at other odd times.

Use left/right bumbers for navigating tab menus (like the team stats after a match). Bumpers are a natural fit for tab menu select. MC360 uses them somewhat, as does Elder Scrolls. It's nice and a good fit.

Default me to see MY team's final stats. It's weird seeing "Victory" on the screen and hearing "You Lose" in my ears. It's like having somebody shake their head No while saying Yes.

Use a Tab menu for selecting my drone to respawn. This means it would engage the bumpers like I advised before, and would be less likely to be flipped around by final death twitching I also mentioned above. Additionally, now you can show me the stats on the guy I am about to select.

Stop the phone-tag of trying to hook up with my friends in a match. Since we don't get control of what game lobby we join, if my friends are mid-match, I am stuck in a new lobby, and forced to play with other people. We then basically never get to play together. I'd rather see a list of active matches, with who is in each match, and the option to start my own lobby. I can then join the existing match (even if I'm stuck in a holding lobby while they finish their current match), so that when they finish, I can get in on the next match.

Need a mechanism to vote off team-killers. Hook it up to the Select button. Pick a player, vote to Kick. Once kicked, he can't rejoin the host's session.

Tell me the level and objectives/rules in a splash screen before the match where I can read it. My TV is 42" and 6' away from the couch. I can't read tiny print at the bottom of the lobby screen. If it weren't for Arclight or Bush, I wouldn't know what the mission was per match. Especially because it changes each match. Who the heck sends in soldiers without ensuring they have been briefed on the mission?

Game play and controls

Don't re-use X to change weapons I have with picking up weapons or refilling from an ammo crate. You can't believe how many times i swapped to my pistol because I didn't know to hold X longer to pick up a gun or refill from the crate. Use the Left bumper to change weapon, so X can be strictly for using an item right in front of us.

Friendly Fire isn't fun with jerks I can't kick out. I know Friendly Fire can be fun for people who are playing the game right. But I can't control who I play with, and getting team-killed on purpose and repeatedly by at least two players last night wasn't fun.

Rebalance the classes, because nobody's playing the Marine for a reason. The Marine out-right sucks in combat compared to the Engineer. At least at the low level I've seen. There's something wrong when the Engineer's weapon is more effective than the dedicated soldier's weapon. I expected to be at least on par with Halo's starter weapon. Instead, I go pew, pew, pew, reload, get ganked and have to start over. I doubt I killed ANYBODY with that pea-shooter.

Speed up the mining process so I can alter the map and get a timely tactical advantage. I had a plan on the crater map. To drill through the side wall of our spawn point, to come out of the side of the crate in a new position to have a new sniping spot where nobody would expect an attack. It took FOREVER. And naturally, I got ganked as soon as the last block was removed. The engineer class should be able to modify the environment more readily (and be less effective at combat than the marine).

Make identifying Friend or Foe more obvious. Yes, we know my gun barrel tells me what team I am on. yes, we know the armor is colored to what team they are on. I wasn't the only one who still couldn't actually identify the enemy until they were too close (because then they killed me and it was kind obvious). In CoD or Halo, it is more obvious to who the enemy is when playing. A, there's a name above my allies head. B. the armor color stands out at longer distances. It's dark in this game, and zooming little guys are hard to see their armor color as it currently stands until they are at close range. A side idea to this is to make everybody's gun Blue, and always color the enemy Red. If I change colors between matches, I may forget what team I'm on. Why not just train me to always kill Red. Consider it the Augmented Reality function of my combat suit giving me FoF augmentation. Heck, color my guys bright blue on the main viewer when they are in sight.

I'm going to go play the game some more. It was fun seeing the maps get blowed up. I kind of wish we had access to map damaging gear at level one, as the starter gun sucks awful fierce.
The Leviathan Corporation
Director of Zoning, Infrastructure and Resource Control
http://theleviathanproject.wiki.zoho.com/Office-of-Zoning-Infrastructure-Resource-Control-ZIRC.html
ZM Script Designer: http://leviathanproject.host-ed.me/
janx

Postby JohnnyBlood » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:53 am

Gristmill wrote:these aren't yes men, and please don't act like we're a clone of a halo clone. We wanted to make an fps, and that's what this is. let's not pretend that murder miners is somehow now the only fps there is.

I know there are other first person shooters but this really makes me think of murder miners. maybe if you were to add a new game type. I suggest you add challenge maps. something like fighting off a horde of venators in a small arena and seeing how long you live. or fighting off mobs to get to the next room and so on. Or maybe give me a power core i need to destroy to win.

I know you worked really hard on this especially to make sure the AI doesn't suck, but it just doesn't keep my attention.
Leroy T. Pumpkin
JohnnyBlood

Postby janx » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:13 pm

JohnnyBlood wrote:
Gristmill wrote:these aren't yes men, and please don't act like we're a clone of a halo clone. We wanted to make an fps, and that's what this is. let's not pretend that murder miners is somehow now the only fps there is.

I know there are other first person shooters but this really makes me think of murder miners. maybe if you were to add a new game type. I suggest you add challenge maps. something like fighting off a horde of venators in a small arena and seeing how long you live. or fighting off mobs to get to the next room and so on. Or maybe give me a power core i need to destroy to win.

I know you worked really hard on this especially to make sure the AI doesn't suck, but it just doesn't keep my attention.

I have no idea of what MurderMiners is and I'm not inclined to spend a buck to find out.

What I like about the game is the destructive element that Red Faction 2 originally brought to the table. Battling with explosions that destroy the map is pretty fun. Kind of like how some people enjoy blowing stuff up with Dynamite in MC, but with a useful purpose this time around.
The Leviathan Corporation
Director of Zoning, Infrastructure and Resource Control
http://theleviathanproject.wiki.zoho.com/Office-of-Zoning-Infrastructure-Resource-Control-ZIRC.html
ZM Script Designer: http://leviathanproject.host-ed.me/
janx

Postby still crosshair » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:57 pm

I agree with janx on some things such as changing the controls around. When I first played it I quickly figured out that X needed to held down to grab a weapon or refill your ammo. I have seen some people thinking the game is bugged and not holding X because the game just says X and not Hold X. Another thing is that some people jump into the game before they take a look at what each of two classes gets. They than think the PICK is a gun that is bugged. I suggest placing the class of the weapon above the ammo display. This way people know from start that they have a flamethrower and PICK. I don't know how well this will help with confusion over the PICK but it may help to see the word PICK above it when selected. Some People think the game has a odd control scheme and could take multiple functions off of one button and place them onto others. Other than that some people think that the flamethrower is bugged when they find out it can kill them.
The TCD 1471 !!!

still crosshair

PreviousNext

Return to Downgate Talk