Thoughts on DownGate: ExoDrone Wars

Discussions related directly to Downgate

Re: Thoughts on DownGate: ExoDrone Wars

Postby rrunnheim » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:44 pm

still crosshair wrote:
BushKillFalls wrote: Not to mention you are Carrying around a Big Glowing Red or Blue Gun that also signifies which team you are on. Most Games everyone uses the same exact guns. Even Halo only had team color Differences to differentiate Teams and all you had to go on was a Blue Hand and a Red Suited Enemy. DownGate has a Blue Gun and a Red Enemy.

And I believe this is one of the big problems that leads to team killing. The fact that your gun tells you what team color your on in most cases. If you had people in your lobby that your remembered were on your team than its easy to find out what color team your on. But say you are in a lobby that says your alone or that its you vs one or two than mid match someone joins your team. As you said most games have the same guns for both teams. Meaning some people may not notice the color difference while playing. Another thing is they are not used to looking at their gun to figure out what their team color.

That was something I noticed right away too in the heat of battle (while janx was killing me that is). We've done a few things to make it better now, but hopefully not too intrusive either. Mainly, their gamer tag is rendered in their team color, as well as "Hostile"/"Friendly" text.

Look for slightly better weapon balance too.
Gristmill Studios Engine and System Programmer
http://www.gristmillstudios.com
rrunnheim

Postby jon22 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:43 pm

Any chance of the sun rising in any levels like Xenominer? Or speeded up day/night cycles? Would certainly suit the desert-type stages....and look nice. Can't wait for those team coloured name tags by the way.
Gamertag: jon221985. I'm not a hardcore player but if I am not really doing much I am willing to help with mining or guarding against Venators. Message me and I will let you know if I am able to help. I also have a mic too.
jon22

Postby janx » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:58 pm

rrunnheim wrote:
still crosshair wrote:
BushKillFalls wrote: Not to mention you are Carrying around a Big Glowing Red or Blue Gun that also signifies which team you are on. Most Games everyone uses the same exact guns. Even Halo only had team color Differences to differentiate Teams and all you had to go on was a Blue Hand and a Red Suited Enemy. DownGate has a Blue Gun and a Red Enemy.

And I believe this is one of the big problems that leads to team killing. The fact that your gun tells you what team color your on in most cases. If you had people in your lobby that your remembered were on your team than its easy to find out what color team your on. But say you are in a lobby that says your alone or that its you vs one or two than mid match someone joins your team. As you said most games have the same guns for both teams. Meaning some people may not notice the color difference while playing. Another thing is they are not used to looking at their gun to figure out what their team color.

That was that one time when I was on red team and got used to killing blues and then you got put on my team and we were both red.... :)

I'm in favor of always making my gun blue, my friends blue and the enemy Red. The game don't care what color it lies to us that each player is.

That was something I noticed right away too in the heat of battle (while janx was killing me that is). We've done a few things to make it better now, but hopefully not too intrusive either. Mainly, their gamer tag is rendered in their team color, as well as "Hostile"/"Friendly" text.

Look for slightly better weapon balance too.
The Leviathan Corporation
Director of Zoning, Infrastructure and Resource Control
http://theleviathanproject.wiki.zoho.com/Office-of-Zoning-Infrastructure-Resource-Control-ZIRC.html
ZM Script Designer: http://leviathanproject.host-ed.me/
janx

Postby janx » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:04 pm

BushKillFalls wrote:I still don't get how it is that hard to recognize a Bright Red Guy from a Dark Blue Guy.

As my TV is currently having a "brightness" issue, I can't say for certain that it's the game. But given that I can see all the colors just fine in other games, etc, I'm certain it's not entirely my TV's fault.

When I get close to a player, I can see all the color and the bright yellow bits on the armor.

From farther away, neither guy is bright, and I'm lucky to see a random colored pixel. Otherwise, it's a dark guy running around shooting somebody else while I come in from the side wondering which guy to kill before I get ganked by a 4th guy who is on my team.

I haven't had time to switch to the other xbox (which I mainly netflix on) to eliminate the TV. But given other people have problems, I'm thinking it's not just me.

I wonder what brightness level you've got your game (and TV) set to. Maybe you're running brighter than the standard.

I certainly don't expect the enemy to be brightly lit in dark places. i just want to differentiate my allies from the enemy (making my allies easy to spot, probably solves the problem while protecting the hiding ability of the enemy).
The Leviathan Corporation
Director of Zoning, Infrastructure and Resource Control
http://theleviathanproject.wiki.zoho.com/Office-of-Zoning-Infrastructure-Resource-Control-ZIRC.html
ZM Script Designer: http://leviathanproject.host-ed.me/
janx

Previous

Return to Downgate Talk