Mission Type - Protect the Base

A place to discuss Xenominer Swarm

Mission Type - Protect the Base

Postby Timpraetor » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:22 pm

A Base Protection mission is very straight forward, you must protect the base from destruction for 24 game hours (24 minutes). The rewards on these missions is usually pretty high, so it may be tempting to take one on in Single Player - DON'T - that is, unless you have lots of cash or have already built power units, batteries, and turrets.

This is best played in MP mode with at least 2 Marines and one Recon to support an Engineer.

You WILL be introduced to the nefarious Laxitar - a heavy bombardment bug type that can wipe out a LZ base very quickly from quite distance away. The higher the star level, the more Laxitars you'll face. It's important to find and remove these quickly. A recommendation is that at least one of your Marines have a Plasma Rocket Launcher. You can then take on these baddies from quite a distance. Be aware though that these guys will take it personally when you start attacking them and they will start attacking you. Their lobs will take out even the strongest armor in 2 direct hits, so prepare to hit and run.

Once the 24 hours is up, if the LZ is still viable, you can call for extraction.

BTW - the bugs that you kill provide Gredits in ADDITION to the mission success reward - and don't forget to send in the Engineer to collect all of the biomass blocks lying around.

If you have created and installed any automated weaponry, power systems, or special items such as bio scanners, be sure to collect them with your engineer before extraction or they are lost when yo leave the mission.
--==--
Tim
- brucoder on XBOX Live, Timpraetor on Steam and Desura
- Grav Boots - The official VDS - Venator Defense System!
True space exploration will become a reality when the governments get out of it and corporate greed takes the reins!
Timpraetor
 
Posts: 829
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:04 pm
Location: N Phoenix, AZ

Re: Mission Type - Protect the Base

Postby still crosshair » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:01 am

Timpraetor wrote: so it may be tempting to take one on in Single Player - DON'T - that is, unless you have lots of cash or have already built power units, batteries, and turrets.

This is best played in MP mode with at least 2 Marines and one Recon to support an Engineer.

You WILL be introduced to the nefarious Laxitar - a heavy bombardment bug type that can wipe out a LZ base very quickly from quite distance away. The higher the star level, the more Laxitars you'll face.

Once the 24 hours is up, if the LZ is still viable, you can call for extraction.

BTW - the bugs that you kill provide Gredits in ADDITION to the mission success reward - and don't forget to send in the Engineer to collect all of the biomass blocks lying around.


What is the "average" amount of nefarious Laxitar in a level 2 mission of this type? Because I did one and never even seen one of these amazing mobs even after staying over the time limit. So the mission was pretty easy and I never even used the marine drone.
The TCD 1471 !!!
Spoiler: show
Image

Image

Image
User avatar
still crosshair
 
Posts: 2955
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:17 pm
Location: Hanging on the mountain

Re: Mission Type - Protect the Base

Postby BushKillFalls » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:47 pm

I believe Lexitars are a %Chance of appearing that goes up with the more stars a mission has.. 1star and 2star might not even allow them to show up.
Xbox360 Gamertag :BushKillFalls
Leviathan Project : Officer of R&D
Leviathan Project 24/7 World : Host
BushKillFalls
 
Posts: 1697
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:51 pm
Location: Xeno

Re: Mission Type - Protect the Base

Postby janx » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:02 pm

BushKillFalls wrote:I believe Lexitars are a %Chance of appearing that goes up with the more stars a mission has.. 1star and 2star might not even allow them to show up.


If the Lexitar is the big thing that lobs artillery at me, I was on a 1* bug hunt and had 2 of the darn things on opposite sides of my base crater.
The Leviathan Corporation
Director of Zoning, Infrastructure and Resource Control
http://theleviathanproject.wiki.zoho.com/Office-of-Zoning-Infrastructure-Resource-Control-ZIRC.html
ZM Script Designer: http://leviathanproject.host-ed.me/
janx
 
Posts: 666
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:42 pm

Re: Mission Type - Protect the Base

Postby still crosshair » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:10 pm

janx wrote:
BushKillFalls wrote:I believe Lexitars are a %Chance of appearing that goes up with the more stars a mission has.. 1star and 2star might not even allow them to show up.


If the Lexitar is the big thing that lobs artillery at me, I was on a 1* bug hunt and had 2 of the darn things on opposite sides of my base crater.


Really I went on 2 star mission and never even seen 1 and it was disappointing until the next bug hunt had six spawn in front of me.
The TCD 1471 !!!
Spoiler: show
Image

Image

Image
User avatar
still crosshair
 
Posts: 2955
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:17 pm
Location: Hanging on the mountain

Re: Mission Type - Protect the Base

Postby greenkiller56 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:09 pm

I feel that I should say this, if you experience a lack of enemies get a bio scanner and search caves but don't leave the base open because me and my friend thinned them out in the caves and about three lexitars and about 10-20 bugs spawned and the surface and ANNILATED the base
Gamertag:GreenKillerLive
greenkiller56
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:07 pm

Re: Mission Type - Protect the Base

Postby RoadKill » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:52 pm

I've found I can go solo on 1 or 2 star protections by myself if I have 3 or 4 turrets set up and a modestly tough material fortifying the LZ. The Laxitar doesn't seem to show up much on the lower difficulties. Except for one 1 star mining mission I recently attempted....
RoadKill
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:09 am


Return to Swarm Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron