Mods for Xenominer PC

Modding Xenominer for PC.

Mods for Xenominer PC

Postby FOUR TWENTY » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:51 pm

Ok, so I was wondering something that really intrigues me. Gristmill, would you guys care if people (like myself) made mods for Xenominer on the PC? There are things I would LOVE to see in this game, but you haven't had the time to put it in. I think if you did allow people to do so, it'd get more people interested in Xenominer.
Last edited by FOUR TWENTY on Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ordering in a fancy restaurant: Charlie says “Yes, my good man, I’ll have the milk steak, boiled over hard, and your finest jelly beans … raw.”
FOUR TWENTY

Re: Mods for Xenominer PC

Postby tetsuo » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:42 pm

I'm bummed about the new map format. I wrote a couple of different world parsers and map renderers for MC in python, C and even PHP. The nbt file format and Anvil region format are a bit convoluted at first, but all of the data is there. With XM, you'd have to reproduce the terrain generation functions (which I'm guessing will remain closed-source / secret sauce) before then applying the changes from the ChangeLog.

Don't get me wrong, Grist! I know your previous implementation was mod-friendly and XBLIG bandwidth constraints forced you to get pretty clever about sending chunk updates over the wire, but it's still a bummer! :p

For giggles, here's a (very compressed) snap from my "real time" 2d map tile server (google maps API). "real time" is in quotes because a) it's only real-time out to 3 zoom levels with 1 tile being 1 16x16 chunk at max zoom and b) server writes are heavily cached in later MC builds, though this code does plug in to RCON and force saves more frequently.
Attachments
tiny_world_my_2drender_resized.jpg
tiny_world_my_2drender_resized.jpg (239.05 KiB) Viewed 3805 times
tetsuo

Postby FOUR TWENTY » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:55 pm

Bump!
Ordering in a fancy restaurant: Charlie says “Yes, my good man, I’ll have the milk steak, boiled over hard, and your finest jelly beans … raw.”
FOUR TWENTY

Postby rrunnheim » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:31 pm

We would love it!.... Except, the code is not yet in a mod-able state. The map format being the first issue. The textures are relatively easy to mod, the terrain is not, as you've pointed out.

Yet another item on our plate.
Gristmill Studios Engine and System Programmer
http://www.gristmillstudios.com
rrunnheim

Postby FOUR TWENTY » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:35 pm

How is the code not in a mod-able state?

Just asking out of curiosity.
FOUR TWENTY

Postby KDStudios » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:17 pm

rrunnheim wrote:We would love it!.... Except, the code is not yet in a mod-able state. The map format being the first issue. The textures are relatively easy to mod, the terrain is not, as you've pointed out.

Yet another item on our plate.

Ooh did someone mention texture modding?
That's pretty much the first thing I do to MOST games I play, I make a lot of texture packs for a variety of games. For once I didn't actually think about doing that for this game, but now that you mention it, I sure am interested now... :P
Never really messed around with xnb files before though, so I'd have to bump around that hurdle first.
Image Image
YOU, are awesome.
KDStudios

Postby Zorgborg242 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:40 pm

Ooo did someone say texture packs? HECK YES!!! :D
"Ultron,Getting resources for you,and only you"
Zorgborg242

Postby Abahualeky » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:27 pm

What if I assemble a group of people to at least try to mod it?
Abahualeky

Postby NCrawler » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:06 pm

KDStudios wrote:Never really messed around with xnb files before though, so I'd have to bump around that hurdle first.

They are compressed Hi-Def .xnb files. I have successfully decompressed and extracted the .png's from the game. Here's an example:

If you have Visual Studio 2010 + XNA Game Studio 4.0 you should be able to add the edited image back into a content pipeline and create a new .xnb file.
NCrawler

Return to Modding