Question to the graphics designer

Modding Xenominer for PC.

Question to the graphics designer

Postby NCrawler » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:36 pm

Just a quick question to the games graphic designer. I noticed that there is an alpha channel in the texture .xnb files. Is there where you stored your specular map for the graphics?
NCrawler

Re: Question to the graphics designer

Postby rrunnheim » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:47 pm

Since we're using both a color and normal texture, the textures are packed as follows
Color : r g b a -- where alpha here is only used for crystal/glass/fencing etc..
Normal : x y z s -- and here is the specular term you were asking about. It's only a global specular (so always white)

Great question!
Gristmill Studios Engine and System Programmer
http://www.gristmillstudios.com
rrunnheim

Postby still crosshair » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:14 pm

We have been trying to make a texture pack but are having trouble imputing in new glass and things like diamonds and crystals. Also lights seem to be a big one that is hard to do.
The TCD 1471 !!!
Spoiler: show

still crosshair

Postby Gristmill » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:20 pm

Yeah, the normal mapping is gonna get you. GIMP has a normal mapping tool for coverting a texture to a Normal. As far as making it into a normal, turning the texture into a white is high, black is low heightmap image is an easy way to do it at first. Specular is pretty much white = shiny, gray = plasticy and black = dull. Obviously the shades between them are a gradient of those attributes.
Gristmill
Site Admin

Postby still crosshair » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:22 pm

Gristmill wrote:Yeah, the normal mapping is gonna get you. GIMP has a normal mapping tool for coverting a texture to a Normal. As far as making it into a normal, turning the texture into a white is high, black is low heightmap image is an easy way to do it at first. Specular is pretty much white = shiny, gray = plasticy and black = dull. Obviously the shades between them are a gradient of those attributes.

Yea I use Gimp for my normal mapping
The TCD 1471 !!!

still crosshair

Postby BriarFae » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:24 pm

How are light emitting blocks made?
if you can read this your to close
BriarFae

Postby NCrawler » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:31 pm

Gristmill wrote:Yeah, the normal mapping is gonna get you. GIMP has a normal mapping tool for coverting a texture to a Normal. As far as making it into a normal, turning the texture into a white is high, black is low heightmap image is an easy way to do it at first. Specular is pretty much white = shiny, gray = plasticy and black = dull. Obviously the shades between them are a gradient of those attributes.

Yeah, I understand all that it's just that I pull the images out of the .xnb as a .png and .png format treats the alpha layer as a transparency layer thereby screwing the image up. Same for the normal map, especially if there was a specular in the alpha channel. I can fix the texture sheet by flattening it in photoshop and just redoing the transparency but will probably have to redo the normals manually.

I'll send you a 'fixed' texture sheet tomorrow crosshair. May be a day or so on the normals.
NCrawler

Postby still crosshair » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:33 pm

NCrawler wrote:

Yeah, I understand all that it's just that I pull the images out of the .xnb as a .png and .png format treats the alpha layer as a transparency layer thereby screwing the image up. Same for the normal map, especially if there was a specular in the alpha channel. I can fix the texture sheet by flattening it in photoshop and just redoing the transparency but will probably have to redo the normals manually.

I'll send you a 'fixed' texture sheet tomorrow crosshair. May be a day or so on the normals.

Its okay more then half of the textures are modified already so the normal map will also me modified.
The TCD 1471 !!!

still crosshair

Postby NCrawler » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:35 pm

rrunnheim wrote:Since we're using both a color and normal texture, the textures are packed as follows
Color : r g b a -- where alpha here is only used for crystal/glass/fencing etc..
Normal : x y z s -- and here is the specular term you were asking about. It's only a global specular (so always white)

Great question!

Thank you very much! Is there any chance at all that we could get a copy of the original textures and normals? :)
NCrawler

Postby still crosshair » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:38 pm

NCrawler wrote:
rrunnheim wrote:Since we're using both a color and normal texture, the textures are packed as follows

Great question!

Thank you very much! Is there any chance at all that we could get a copy of the original textures and normals? :)

Yea especially if they are 2.5.1 or after since I have the feeling we will have to update because of the new blocks.
The TCD 1471 !!!

still crosshair

Next

Return to Modding