Door panels and such

Always a popular place, tell us what you want what you really really want.

Re: Door panels and such

Postby janx » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:59 pm

I reckon you'd have a rocket damage problem with regular doors as well.

Seems like an engineering problem, using the blocks you have.

I'd reconsider having rockets near your more sensitive structures. Maybe Rockets are for the outer perimeter, where brute force is "safer"

I'd also shield doorways so incoming explosions aren't impacting so readily against the sensitive blocks.

If you've got multiplayer in mind, consider having all doors wired to a control room, where one player operates the perimeter doors.

In this way, he only opens the doors if it is safe.
The Leviathan Corporation
Director of Zoning, Infrastructure and Resource Control
http://theleviathanproject.wiki.zoho.com/Office-of-Zoning-Infrastructure-Resource-Control-ZIRC.html
ZM Script Designer: http://leviathanproject.host-ed.me/
janx

Re: Door panels and such

Postby cyr133 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:23 am

janx wrote:I reckon you'd have a rocket damage problem with regular doors as well.

Seems like an engineering problem, using the blocks you have.

I'd reconsider having rockets near your more sensitive structures. Maybe Rockets are for the outer perimeter, where brute force is "safer"

I'd also shield doorways so incoming explosions aren't impacting so readily against the sensitive blocks.

If you've got multiplayer in mind, consider having all doors wired to a control room, where one player operates the perimeter doors.

In this way, he only opens the doors if it is safe.

Typically I don't have a problem with rockets...they're fun...but I agree, can be a bit counterproductive nearby your more sensitive structures.

I was just wondering aloud on how best to configure a door that would be impervious to an errant rocket blast. More of a thought experiment than anything else...hey...it is a voxel builder right? :)

What I've come up with so far is something like this...a kind of ablative armor that peels off in layers but leaves the main structure intact. The idea is, the second outer layer protects the inner layer door blocks, but all are activated via switch simultaneously. You lose the outer layer due to an explosion, you may have time to repair before getting overrun by bugs...

Edited: Removed the silly text picture I tried to draw...I think we all get the idea...
cyr133

Previous

Return to Feature Requests