Optional Auto Extract

Always a popular place, tell us what you want what you really really want.

Optional Auto Extract

Postby Kiln » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:09 pm

First off, I want to say that I love both Xenominer Classic and Swarm. They're excellent strategy/survival games with an excellent fun/value ratio.

One of the few issues I've had with Swarm is that there is an auto extract feature after completing objectives. Don't get me wrong, I think auto extract is a good feature to have, specifically to new players, I just think it should be optional.

The main issue is that it can be difficult amidst the swarm to collect your equipment and extract, especially when you're playing alone. This is causing players (not excluding myself) to lose turrets and other resources that would otherwise be collected prior to evacuating the mission area.

I'd like to see "Auto Evac" implemented as a selectable item in the user options menu. It is a small thing and I think it'd improve the game by allowing you to choose whether or not to leave via the countdown or manually exiting.

Awesome game. Loving it. I've gotten 3-4 buddies to pick it up too because of the true to advertising "classic shooter" styling. Definitely one of my top 5 favorite indie games.
Kiln

Re: Optional Auto Extract

Postby Gristmill » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:12 pm

Thanks Kiln, glad you like it!

Auto Extract is something we've discussed internally many times. It achieves a few things from a game-flow perspective, and helps eliminate a lot of "un-fun" meta-gaming we were seeing when it wasn't implemented. Unfortunately adding an option for it would simply reintroduce those issues, so it's not something we're considering right now. Thanks for the input though, it's always valuable to us to get outside opinions and feedback.
Gristmill
Site Admin

Postby Kiln » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:22 pm

I understand and suppose it does make sense from a gameplay perspective to speed things along. I'd still like to see it become optional but I get that there's a reason you chose to put it in. I'm guessing to keep gameplay from stagnating on one map and to keep players from strip mining outside of the claims system.
Kiln

Postby janx » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:48 pm

Kiln wrote:I understand and suppose it does make sense from a gameplay perspective to speed things along. I'd still like to see it become optional but I get that there's a reason you chose to put it in. I'm guessing to keep gameplay from stagnating on one map and to keep players from strip mining outside of the claims system.

That and players were milking the Bio Mass spitters and getting a ton of extra kills beyond the mission objective.

It reinforces the concept that it is a timed mission, there really is a time limit to get in, do the job, and get out.

Plus, in some ways, it cuts down on over-preparing the LZ. If you only have a short time to pick up your tools before leaving, you aren't going to get super elaborate with turrets such that you don't have time to pick them back up. Thus, increasing the danger level back to expectations
The Leviathan Corporation
Director of Zoning, Infrastructure and Resource Control
http://theleviathanproject.wiki.zoho.com/Office-of-Zoning-Infrastructure-Resource-Control-ZIRC.html
ZM Script Designer: http://leviathanproject.host-ed.me/
janx

Return to Feature Requests