State of the Gristmill

Announcements about all of Gristmill

State of the Gristmill

Postby Gristmill » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:23 am

Friends and Fans,

It's been a long, long time since we've posted here or on Facebook. There haven't been any updates, and we haven't done a great job of answering emails. Basically we fell off the face of the Earth.

For that I am incredibly sorry. Please accept my sincerest apologies.

The last year has been a terribly hard year for Gristmill, and several members of the team. There have been job losses, job changes, family struggles, medical issues and some good-byes. Basically, the emotional and mental toll of keeping this little studio alive while living out a normal life became unsustainable for almost all of us, and we had to take a hiatus.

You'll want to say something along the lines of, "Why didn't you just tell us?"

I wish I had, but that's not the way it works. Anyone who's been through a time like this can tell you, it's just the way it goes.

I am writing this with the hope of finding a few of you still around, and perhaps looking forward to new possibilities.

Here are a few things I will be trying to sort out, as best I can, with the time I have, over the next few weeks:

Xenominer has, if my records are correct (I can't check the actual project page on XBLIG), a 2.6 update that has made it to BMT but nowhere else. Desura has never been great with us, often waiting days or weeks to answer support emails, mixing up our install packages, and generally just being a horrible platform to work with. We will be doing our best to give BMT codes to anyone that has a Desura key and needs to move to the homesite. I would pull us off of Desura, except that sales there haven't reached the $500 minimum even in the last year, but I'd like to not lose the $300 or so that's there. (that's right, we make that little on PC sales).

As for Xbox360, we have the 2.6 update waiting, but problems with Creator's Club and memberships mean I can't publish it now. I'm working to see if this can be corrected.

Finally, it's time for us to call Xenominer released and out of beta. It's not a perfect game, or the game we wanted it to be, but it is much, much, much more than what it was when we released it 3 years ago, and it's still an amazing game and certainly provides more than enough hours of entertainment to no longer be considered a beta title.

Swarm: a year without fire turrets is a horrible shame. If I can get our membership working, I will do my best to track down that bug and push and update right away.

The Future:

We're not sure yet. I don't want to raise the specter of hope that we'll be coming back full steam, or at all. I want to make these few things right and then re-analyze the situation. That's the best I can do for now.

Thank you all for your patience, time, kindness, support, compassion and for just being the best fans a struggling little part-time indie studio could have. Your emails and PM's and posts always (well usually) bring a smile to our face, and it's a huge honor to be able to be a part of so many people's lives.

Talk to you soon,
Grist
Gristmill
Site Admin

Re: State of the Gristmill

Postby pysiu » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:23 am

Sad news but i was expecing something along these lines due to your several months long silence.

Good luck in future and i do hope that you will change your mind in regards to
"Anyone who's been through a time like this can tell you, it's just the way it goes."
in case you will still have anything to do with gaming industry in the future.
It is not decent, not fair and not normal as opposed to what you think. I know loads of other early access/in development games where Devs did speak out when problems arose and the playerbase is usually understanding as long as you are honest when making such an annoucement.

Anyways, i had a blast with Xenominer- a pity it goes under. I do hope you will keep making games in the future. Over and out.
pysiu

Postby still crosshair » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:21 pm

Hello Gristmill, I know BMT has 2.6 and desura is still waiting for it.

This came from the desura site
The payout issues are not an indication that we don't have the funds to pay. Bringing in the changes to the payout system, as well as new contracts being lowered to a $250 threshold will both help prevent this from being a recurring problem in the future.

I want to let developers know, if you are in that situation, where you have not met the threshold and it doesn't seem like sales will get that far, you can request an early payout. This is not us "pocketing your money." This is simply the way the old contracts were set up and agreed to by both parties.

You can read it here http://www.desura.com/news/may-27th-update

Sounds like your trying to simply get back to your feet. I hope you get back up and can make these new possibilities.
The TCD 1471 !!!
Spoiler: show

still crosshair

Postby Gristmill » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:53 pm

Thanks crosshair, I'll look into that. Appreciate it.
Gristmill
Site Admin

Postby Gamma949 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:00 am

Me and QWERQY have been holding Xenominer to our hearts while it seem'd it was dead but then again people have had no pulse and woken up like that one Hangover movie but if Xenominer is going to dig itself out of the shallow grave then dig harder! Or at least as fast without losing all your air or dying from idk malnutrition but from me I'm greatful that you guys are still working on it. Good luck.
Species: UNKNOWN]
Current Location: [color=#00FF40]Sector-45B outside of SN-1604

Current Company: GiT Security
Production number: 93451
GiT Security -Making your mining operations safe
Gamma949

Postby iAINTyourDADDY » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:36 pm

It's ALIVE! good enough for me!
Xbox LIVE Gamertag: iAINTyourDADDY
iAINTyourDADDY

Postby still crosshair » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:42 am

iAINTyourDADDY wrote:It's ALIVE! good enough for me!

The TCD 1471 !!!
Spoiler: show

still crosshair

Postby VoxelJunkie » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:16 pm

We will be doing our best to give BMT codes to anyone that has a Desura key and needs to move to the homesite.

Unfortunately I purchased Xenominer from Desura. I wish I had bought it directly from gristmill but didn't. I have noticed how horrible Desura is and luckily only made the one purchase from them. The bad part is that the one game I got from them is Xenominer (which I love...Fantastic game). It saddens me to hear of the troubles you guys have had but, when I found the thread that mentioned the BMT codes from you for those of us that bought your game from the idiots at Desura my heart skipped a beat from happiness. I am looking forward to receiving that code so I can play the latest version of this great game. Please let me and others know what we need to do to get this code.
I for one hope that the problems that arose for you get worked out and that Gristmill will come back stronger than before. You guys have made some of my favorite games. That's right, I have Xenominer on my PC as well as all 3 of the Xenominer XBOX titles.

Hope to receive the code soon and Good Luck.
VoxelJunkie

Postby BushKillFalls » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:41 pm

Yes I miss the Flame Turrets but the features we got in that update were great!

Life does get busy. I am only just getting back to playing any form of video games after 7 months.

We all like the way your brains work when it comes to games so if you have a different title in the future you still have the community that stays in touch with each other.

Godspeed Gristmill 8-)
Xbox360 Gamertag :BushKillFalls
Leviathan Project : Officer of R&D
Leviathan Project 24/7 World : Host
BushKillFalls

Postby dalekman9999 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:04 pm

So, when do we get our bmt key's?
dalekman9999

Next

Return to Gristmill Announcements