MUST READ: OLD SAVE GAME BUG 1.3

Announcements about XenoMiner

Re: MUST READ: OLD SAVE GAME BUG 1.3

Postby tetsuo » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:29 am

tetsuo wrote:Instead of starting a new world, could we work around this for now by traveling outside of range of any of our current storage units?

Here's what I'm thinking:
- Load up existing world, take nothing out of external storage, mine nothing if personal/suit storage is full.
- if bot was busy during save, immediately recall upon loading to prevent it from placing anything in to storage
- travel well outside of range of any external storage units (far enough that placing new repeaters wouldn't re-introduce existing storage into range)

Would that mitigate the risk? If so, the only caveat would be that upon death, you'd respawn in range of old containers and would need to recall the bot and refrain from mining until you were outside of old storage range again.

Self-quoting to recap my suggestion. The above approach appears to work without any major downsides (so far). I have not added or removed anything to/from an old container since learning of the patch. I haven't even done so much as mine a block in my starting area. I did die once when I failed to get grav boots re-activated in time [new control scheme], and as described above, I recalled my bot so that it's ongoing mining efforts wouldn't place materials in old storage containers. New containers have not given me any grief.

So - for those who'd rather pump hours into their existing map (accepting some risk of corruption - probably minimal) instead of starting a new map or staying on the previous version of XM, this approach is your best bet. You can probably even be a bit less paranoid than me and continue to mine in range of existing storage so long as you keep some free spots available on your suit.
tetsuo

Postby IceFireXD » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:23 am

maybe i'm not fully understanding what this bug is supposed to involve.... does the game glitch-out when you add to a stack, or remove from a stack?

i had some 1,500 silicon in one of my storage units, and i burned through all but 200 of it making clear glass for my observation tower (built and readied before the update) without any glitching or anything like that.

the silicon was consumed straight from the storage unit. i did not move the silicon around, but i have since added exactly 1 silicon to the stacks i had in that unit. (left me with 2 stacks, 1 at 100, 1 at 99...) still no glitching.

i've also since picked up that storage unit as i moved about 9,001 miles north attempting to find floating islands and cyan and magenta crystals (26 second grav boot fall straight north.). is it safe to place and use?

P.S. while digging back to my base at 1 layer above bedrock, i came across an anomoly... the bedrock moved up 1 layer. is this normal? (i was digging with a layer of light basalt between me and bedrock, and then suddenly, i was right up against the bedrock.)
The Super Bio-Dome Project (Restarted.)
Excavation Status (in quarters)
1st: 15% | 2nd: 1% | 3rd: 0% | 4th: 0%
Construction Status (in quarters)
1st: 3% | 2nd: 0% | 3rd: 0% | 4th: <1%
IceFireXD

Postby wolfetm » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:06 pm

I believe I'm running into this issue. I've been experiencing consistent crashes whenever I try to place some of the metal/wall panels that I had saved up in my storage devices. The game goes to black, then exits, prompting a "Error Code 4" or some noise. Is this the same issue being described?
wolfetm

Postby eric » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:19 pm

Yes it is, so the recommendation is to either start a new world until the next update or very carefully play in your current world, not touching anything you have in storage.
Looking for more awesome XenoMiner info? There's a wiki for that! Learn! Share! Love :o :shock:
eric

Postby almantux11 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:49 pm

This problem is no problem to me. I read what was said above and all I did is just destroy my containment unit that has blocks in it. That's it. When the other update will come out I will place down my containment unit and everything will be fixed (I hope).
I'm not touching any of my other containment units that have ores or items etc. I just use what I have atm and when I need to craft something I just craft it lol. It doesn't affect the whole ore thing.
My Twitter!! https://twitter.com/almantux11
Xbox Gamertag: almantux11
YouTube: CraftMyXbox
almantux11

Postby eric » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:55 pm

Brilliant idea! Store the suspect containment units in a containment unit and continue on with life :)
Looking for more awesome XenoMiner info? There's a wiki for that! Learn! Share! Love :o :shock:
eric

Postby almantux11 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:58 pm

Thanks lol. I was testing out multiple of ways on how to find a solution to this problem. Nothing worked so I thought i'll just take my containment unit and leave it in my inventory lol.
My Twitter!! https://twitter.com/almantux11
Xbox Gamertag: almantux11
YouTube: CraftMyXbox
almantux11

Postby Merlinicus » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:03 pm

I loaded up my world before the update and put all my most important blocks in my inventory. The ones that wouldn't fit I just placed nearby. Then I updated and re mined all my blocks I had placed.
Merlinicus

Postby brian » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:05 pm

The short answer is:

This in fact was not a bug on the part of the developers, but was a side effect from the intense radiation of the planetoid. Apparently, there was a bad strain of silicon and all placed containment units are currently under a recall. This recall is in effect for all EasyMiner and Mining Refitters International containment product lines. Simply leave your recalled containment unit alone and it will be fixed (free of charge) by pixies within the next 10 or so days. You will be prompted with an update notice when the recalled items have been fixed. If you feel your recall is taking too long, you can submit a formal complaint in triplicate to the Interstellar Pixie Union.

The long boring answer is:

This issue has been resolved. We are just waiting the minimum number of days before we can upload a new version and then wait for peer review.

All items in the players' personal stores are fine. If you had storage containers with stuff inside in your hotbar or backpack, the items contained will also be ok. [a side note, allowing filled storage units to be picked up into inventory was a bug that hasn't been addressed yet - this may or may not change, depending how lazy us developers are]

The issue comes from storage containers in the world. Without going into too much detail (I know, some of you sick puppies want it) item state has changed and was missed for items in placed containers. This is why when items are removed from a containment unit that was already placed and then placed into the world, they change to something different.

If you leave the containment unit contents alone until the patch, you'll be able to continue playing your game just fine. Or if you are worried, and need your xenominer fix, start a new world for a bit. Some items placed from these tainted storage containers will cause a crash, some will place unmovable blocks like bedrock. As long as one of those 2 things didn't happen and you can dig the item back up and it will get sorted out in the new fix.

We are currently trying to fill a position of scapegoat at Gristmill so we can give you the offenders name, but until then, avoid the recalled radiation-corrupted containment units like that girl with the cold sore and you should be fine.
brian

Postby wolfetm » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:09 pm

This in fact was not a bug on the part of the developers, but was a side effect from the intense radiation of the planetoid. Apparently, there was a bad strain of silicon and all placed containment units are currently under a recall. This recall is in effect for all EasyMiner and Mining Refitters International containment product lines. Simply leave your recalled containment unit alone and it will be fixed (free of charge) by pixies within the next 10 or so days. You will be prompted with an update notice when the recalled items have been fixed. If you feel your recall is taking too long, you can submit a formal complaint in triplicate to the Interstellar Pixie Union.

Well that explains everything! FINALLY! A developer willing to come down to our level and be honest about problems in their game! :-)
wolfetm

PreviousNext

Return to XenoMiner Announcements