Updates, Engines and 2.5

Announcements about XenoMiner

Re: Updates, Engines and 2.16

Postby janx » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:28 am

BushKillFalls wrote:I like the Idea of being Prompted to Travel if you walk into the "Wall" of a Zone Edge. I even posted a Map Idea thinking along the same Lines Janx Here.

I think Arc's point about building up to leaving a chunk also fits in.

My assumption is that a Zone represents a larger area. So while I might be playing in a 256x256 representation of a canyon, the canyon itself is much bigger. But really, why would I need to walk around "more canyon" hence the border limit.

So then we use Arc's tech upgrades to find and leave the canyon to an Ice Field zone. and so on...

I'm not saying biomes wouldn't repeat mind you, but I can buy into the idea that they are bigger than the actual zone, and that it would be very boring in real life to spend more time walking around more of the same. Zones, crafting and fast travel would kind of cut to the chase, so to speak.
The Leviathan Corporation
Director of Zoning, Infrastructure and Resource Control
http://theleviathanproject.wiki.zoho.com/Office-of-Zoning-Infrastructure-Resource-Control-ZIRC.html
ZM Script Designer: http://leviathanproject.host-ed.me/
janx

Postby BushKillFalls » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:15 pm

janx wrote:
BushKillFalls wrote:I like the Idea of being Prompted to Travel if you walk into the "Wall" of a Zone Edge. I even posted a Map Idea thinking along the same Lines Janx Here.

I think Arc's point about building up to leaving a chunk also fits in.

My assumption is that a Zone represents a larger area. So while I might be playing in a 256x256 representation of a canyon, the canyon itself is much bigger. But really, why would I need to walk around "more canyon" hence the border limit.

So then we use Arc's tech upgrades to find and leave the canyon to an Ice Field zone. and so on...

I'm not saying biomes wouldn't repeat mind you, but I can buy into the idea that they are bigger than the actual zone, and that it would be very boring in real life to spend more time walking around more of the same. Zones, crafting and fast travel would kind of cut to the chase, so to speak.

Even being able to Pick from a list the type of Zone that you want would be neat since I also might just Skip all the Floating Islands or Plateaus because I love Massive Craters to build in.(Though I love them all)

Also if you used a Map Idea players would have their own Custom Moons made up of the Zones they Chose. If a Zone option is settled upon a more specifically rich in a certain resource option could also be phased in to make regions more valuable than others according to what you want to build with and what environment you want to build in making a Custom map a real design decision for players having real consequences if they choose resource poor environments that might look cool it could affect their expansion into other Zones if they don't have the abundance of resources that diversification allows to build the upgrades to expand.

ARC and I were talking about it last night of using a map and using the Boundary to be able to move to new zones as well as hitting Back to access a world Map but I also posted in that other thread a need to have at least 1 zone other than your Spawn Zone and like ARC said a previously a Launched Satellite or something that unlocked that Zone so that players can try out switching between Zones and see if they want to make the commitment of working a little harder doing upgrades to unlock even more Zones.

In the Long Run if Players are making Lots of Zones it would help the devs figure out if they wanted to delve deeper into the feature or alter it if players don't make much use of it when it comes to possibly going to the Next Gen Systems and upping the PC once the 360 is Unsupported thanks to Microsoft.
Xbox360 Gamertag :BushKillFalls
Leviathan Project : Officer of R&D
Leviathan Project 24/7 World : Host
BushKillFalls

Postby XxHyde840xX » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:41 pm

First post in a while here, was just wondering what your plans for the mining bot going forward with the project? Will we each have our own to use as we see fit or will we still be limited to host privileges only? Also was wondering if you would maybe be willing to share any information regarding driveable vehicles. Thanks Gristmill and keep up the great work!
XBox Live Gamertag: XxHyde840xX
Active Contract: The Leviathan Project
Link to Project Thread: http://forums.gristmillstudios.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1638 http://forums.gristmillstudios.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=4014
XxHyde840xX

Postby Gristmill » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:43 pm

Hey Hyde!

The bot is one of the elements that hasn't made it's way into the new engine, and one of the reasons we couldn't just do an upgrade (if that were the decision) yet. I'm not sure about host versus everyone.

Some things about the bot we really liked - the scripting, the novelty/discovery of learning it. Some things didn't quite work out right: the interface is pretty hard to use and needs a rework. The bot itself was imagined as more of a builder of large things, but really turned out to be a special strip-mining device ;) We have no plans to lose the bot, but there's a part of me (at least me) that thinks a more robust scriptable droid system (not limited to a single entity like the bot) that was deeper but easier to use. Mostly just wishful thinking.

Vehicles have not entered the feature-set yet. They are not necessarily out of the realm of possibilities for the future though.
Gristmill
Site Admin

Postby still crosshair » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:43 pm

Gristmill wrote:Hey Hyde!

but really turned out to be a special strip-mining device ;)

Well I think you could add an actual quarry this new engine. I would expect with these limited worlds that one could not kill it by setting up quarries in it. I could even see one zone for the sole purpose of being ravaged and plundered so the others would be supplied without being ravaged themselves. Still confused on the whole zone idea but I will just learn when they come out.
The TCD 1471 !!!
Spoiler: show

still crosshair

Postby XxHyde840xX » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:04 pm

Thanks for the reply! I always enjoyed the bot but as was mentioned its essentially a strip mining\tunelling device. A deeper system that caters not only to digging but building as well would be very interesting, maybe even have repair droids to repair terrain and landscape deformation? Maybe we could finally stuff Daisy into a droids body :lol:

I was also wondering, and I may have missed a discussion on this, but are you planning on implementing ironsights and perhaps a different zoom system for weapon use where you don't have to toggle the zoom function and can just "snap back" from your sights?
XBox Live Gamertag: XxHyde840xX
Active Contract: The Leviathan Project
Link to Project Thread: http://forums.gristmillstudios.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1638 http://forums.gristmillstudios.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=4014
XxHyde840xX

Postby faedaxe » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:33 am

Dark Zones like the fog of war from an RTS to give the feel that you are alone on this world and there are things of there. It may also help reduce rendering cost on the gpu and memory hold.
faedaxe

Postby Evenguarde » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:19 pm

I'm excited to play XenoMiner at a higher resolution on my PC finally. That alone is great news. I've found that having an infinite world isn't really critical as a player as I thought it would be.
Most of the time when I play I only leave my base/construction area to forage for upgrade/building materials. As long as the "zones" are of a relatively large size and I can move between them in some loading/zoning fashion it would serve the same purpose.

I am curious though: Would zone size be adjustable for players on the PC version? Figure the smallest size would be the zones on the consoles and up from their would require the PC version, certainly would be a nice perk :)

Glad to know you guys are doing well and are not dead, take it as easy as you can.

Evenguarde
Evenguarde

Postby BrozoiTheMagical » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:32 pm

Alright, for the first time in a long time, I have logged in, I have not played xenominer for an age now, just because I don't have anything new to do. I actually hunted down an old post of mine just to figure out what my username. But anyways, I approve as long as this means new content.
Poor bot... He never has fun... Just work... Work... Work...
BrozoiTheMagical

Postby BriarFae » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:41 pm

I never got around to it but I think getting the bot to build a quick shelter would be useful. Since it can take radiation.

A basic field base. Run out put in the finishing touches. Settle in.
if you can read this your to close
BriarFae

PreviousNext

Return to XenoMiner Announcements