Updates, Engines and 2.5

Announcements about XenoMiner

Re: Updates, Engines and 2.16

Postby dlaurence75254 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:41 am

I know a lot of people have built up very elaborate structures and other builds in their existing worlds (I know I have), and from what I'm seeing (or perhaps misunderstanding) is that we will have to sacrifice those builds for the new zone system. But would the zone system be able to support structures that cross zone boundaries? For example, if I set up a "jetway" (which is simply a "track" of material that I can use the jetpack to get to a far off area) will the zones be able to handle a contiguous build across zones? Or would their be a separate spawn point for each zone, making continuous builds impossible?
dlaurence75254

Postby BushKillFalls » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:59 pm

Gristmill wrote:In order to show some kind of neighboring zone, we'd have to load that zone. You can't draw it if you haven't loaded it.

You could load it, draw it, then drop it, but consider that means whatever loading times you have to load a world (albeit only about 30 seconds for an arena) would be x8, so about 4 - 5 minutes. It would also defeat the purpose of saving memory, as you'd be holding all of those cubes in memory (the part needed to draw them at least).

GM Made this statement earlier and they aren't suggesting the idea of losing worlds lightly. For the Game to progress beyond it's current boundaries and be able to add more features beyond what they are working on already they are going to have to do something or XM might be stuck the way it is which isn't bad but there are still a lot of things many players want to see in Xenominer and that Gristmill wants to add.

Not to belittle all our time and effort but we also all have to remember that Xenominer is also still an Alpha. It is not a Finalized Version and is still being Upgraded and Tested to see what features work and don't work. With the constraints of the Xbox they are realizing that Infinite worlds are probably not the best thing for the system to run though they are fun but also not probably utilized to their fullest extent by even by the smallest Minority of players.

To use your example of a Tunnel to another far off area if they were to make it so that when you reached the edge of a Zone it would prompt you hit a button and load the next Zone and you started at the same corresponding Grid Coordinates you could simply continue your Tunnel. Thats not saying thats the direction they are going in but I am sure even if they do or don't we all can come up with inventive ways to handle the Zone Transitioning. Like Rooms to transport into or something...

The main reason we would probably lose our worlds is because if they went into a Zone Method Our worlds are saved as an Infinite World Format. Kind of like they have to Rewrite the Entire Game if they want to put it on the Xbox One because Microsoft Doesn't use XNA Anymore which Xenominer is Currently written in.
Xbox360 Gamertag :BushKillFalls
Leviathan Project : Officer of R&D
Leviathan Project 24/7 World : Host
BushKillFalls

Postby dlaurence75254 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:33 pm

BKF, actually that was pretty much what I was thinking: a transitional space/structure that would be a sort of linkage between one zone and another. That would be a great way to implement it without giving the impression that its "breaking" the thing you build. It would just look like a segment of the larger object.

No problems with losing worlds if the game will progress. I'd much rather have a better game than something stuck in a rut that can never grow.
dlaurence75254

Postby BushKillFalls » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:05 pm

I know the statement they said but I was also wondering if it would be possible to have like a 5 Block overlap between zones where there might be an Overlap Save file that saved those zones where you could have the edge of a Structure or system to transverse the Gap but the way Xbox likes to Dictate to the Indies probably would make that very difficult if not impossible. :(
Xbox360 Gamertag :BushKillFalls
Leviathan Project : Officer of R&D
Leviathan Project 24/7 World : Host
BushKillFalls

Postby still crosshair » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:41 pm

BushKillFalls wrote:I know the statement they said but I was also wondering if it would be possible to have like a 5 Block overlap between zones where there might be an Overlap Save file that saved those zones where you could have the edge of a Structure or system to transverse the Gap but the way Xbox likes to Dictate to the Indies probably would make that very difficult if not impossible. :(

I was just thinking the same thing since if I dug to the edge of a zone and fast traveled to the next zone across I would be underground with in the ground its self more then likely. If we had some overlap or perhaps 1 block edge that was shared then this would not be a problem. He would dig into the shared or overlapping area then when he fast traveled he would spawn within this shared or overlapping area. Any way we could have this shared area. Its a different zone or chunk then the middle but is only 1 or 2 blocks wide. Each side is its own chunk or zone so the game can grab the right ones for a new zone. I would expect it to be hard but perhaps possible if the chunk is only 1 or 2 blocks wide since it would be easy to duplicate next to a new zone or actually reload. It might eat up where other things could go. On the other hand it allows one to feel that the zones are really connected.
The TCD 1471 !!!
Spoiler: show

still crosshair

Postby BriarFae » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:01 pm

ARCLIGHT545 wrote:Something I think is most important if we do go to the zoned set up, is an adherence to the “crafting” process to gain access to a new zone. A process that requires players to build and advance their way to opening one. Bush’s ideas definitely are a great start . The thing I love about XM is that it falls right in line with something I was taught as a kid. is the thing I want to see maintained if we move to a zoned worl “Anything of real value has to be earned and not given”. If players want to expand their world with a new zone, they must build Processing Power, to gain the technology (it should be expensive in time and resources, thus meaning real work)to make a new zone available.
A few ideas Ive had:
*the first thing that must be gained is the means to launch a satellite. A simple all in one device is built, put in place and launched. That satellite will make a new map available to survey new zones. Either a satellite launch system(the most interesting idea to me) or a pre existing satellite that was launched before you crashed which communication was. Which would require then next device.
*Players must build Com dishes. The Com Dish would be used to communicate with a satellite and to communicate from zone to zone. Players will need to have 1 to communicate with the satellite and 2 to communicate between zones. In order to open a new zone they should have to build 2 before it opens the new zone. Any new zones after the first should only require 1 new dish for each new zone.

like building your own GPS network to be able to teleport or shuttle (autopilot?) to other zones with any hope of navigating. Unless you don't mind leaving everything you can't carry forever. It would be a way to delete zones (if you die and return to spawn and your latest base is in a network not connected to spawn or spawn's network then boo hoo you just lost that separate set of zones Hard Core!)
if you can read this your to close
BriarFae

Postby RoadKill » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:26 pm

Finally, some news!!! No mention of rocket launchers, but some interesting news at least. As an Xbox player, I say new game. If I lose my builds, I will most likely delete the game out of frustration. The zone Idea is interesting. What about zones above? I know there have been idea/requests about orbit stuff, so a zone 'above' with just 'floating rocks' might be interesting. Hope one has plenty of 'fuel' for the jet pack...
RoadKill

Postby Gristmill » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:31 pm

And orbital or asteroid zone (or both?) would be pretty sweet and probably not hard to pull off in such a system.
Gristmill
Site Admin

Postby Gamma949 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:43 am

Yeah i could give up infinite worlds sortof what they did in the console version of MC although i would like to see the world larger then in MC the only use i had for leaving the general area of spawn was to go out and find endurium so yeah that seems ok to do that also can you increase the spawn rate of endurium if you guys do that so its slightly easier to find the stuff if you get rid of infinite worlds.
Species: UNKNOWN]
Current Location: [color=#00FF40]Sector-45B outside of SN-1604

Current Company: GiT Security
Production number: 93451
GiT Security -Making your mining operations safe
Gamma949

Postby jon22 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:50 am

I agree with Roadkill. Make the next major Xenominer update a new game. I enjoy just wandering infinite worlds when I need a sci-fi fix as I hate trying to build stuff (hurts ma head). I just look around, take what I need back to my tiny shack, upgrade/make some stuff then wander around some more, making a trail of towers with lights leading back to base if I find a nice landscape. Also nothing beats just looking at those floating islands with glowing crystals and endurium, or exploring underneath them.
Gamertag: jon221985. I'm not a hardcore player but if I am not really doing much I am willing to help with mining or guarding against Venators. Message me and I will let you know if I am able to help. I also have a mic too.
jon22

PreviousNext

Return to XenoMiner Announcements