Updates, Engines and 2.5

Announcements about XenoMiner

Re: Updates, Engines and 2.16

Postby Gristmill » Thu May 29, 2014 8:25 pm

Thanks jon, good to know. We'd definitely make it so you could take stuff from place to place.

We're trying to scrape some time together for DG update, it's really just a testing concern at this point, we'll keep you posted.
Gristmill
Site Admin

Postby still crosshair » Thu May 29, 2014 11:34 pm

Well it looks like infinite terrain is out by popular vote. Most likely my last question for now is if xenominer on PC will be updated to keep the classic mode and this new mode. I know you were talking about a new game on the Xbox since trying to bundle them would be a nightmare. But the PC may be able to handle having both MODES or versions. Also simply title the new game as Xenominer( new launcher )So people know its xenominer just newer and perhaps change xenominer to have (Classic) next to its name so people know its the classic version. If people ask why they are together on PC the answer is simply that you can bundle them on PC and not xbox meaning sadly people have to spend their 1 dollar or local currently on it.
still crosshair

Postby Gristmill » Fri May 30, 2014 12:10 am

Popular vote? It's been less than a day and only two or three people besides you have responded. Patience. :P
Gristmill
Site Admin

Postby still crosshair » Fri May 30, 2014 12:13 am

Gristmill wrote:Popular vote? It's been less than a day and only two or three people besides you have responded. Patience. :P

HAHA perhaps I am just trying to speed up the updates/new Engine idea ;)

I also know good things come to those who wait. But on a more serious note I am glad you guys posted something since the rumors of your death as well as xenominer has been going around. You may want to let people that use other sources know as well like desura users.
still crosshair

Postby lemonrev » Fri May 30, 2014 6:33 am

its been a long while since i posted something in here or even mentioned something, Anyways i read most of the front page of this thread.

I dont mind the fact you want to load / unload chunks much like what minecraft does. However I do wonder weather or not this new system will be a pre set for the game ie set to a gig amount of ram when most of us now days have more than 2 gigs of ram due to having windows 7 and above. Will the graphics improve due to this restriction. I understand you can put more in but with the current game and the way you mine more gear with the speed of the mobs it would make the game 2x or even 3x as hard as it is when you come across a mob area.

Im not saying that its too easy to escape them at this time playing on 2.15 and then giving it to the ghosts of hard drive heaven, due to what i thought at the time was you guys working on a new game and trying to think of ways to keep the game money flowing.

Will you give access to us the player base the option of opting in with these new chunk updates to let you get feedback ?.

How is the code going from when the first post was made ?.

Will you go past the Constraints of the old xbox and start to improve the pc player base ?. or will you keep it to the console area.

This other game, I have not seen that much of it, you said last post you had on this i think at about 60 to 70% done, has that number gone up ?.

The only trouble i see with a chunk based system is that you end up with a huge chuck system based save system, it can work if the program works well with the saved games and progression that its got regardless of how many saved games you have.

Then you could also do muli worlds and have us really exploring stuff.

I dont like how ever if you start putting in things pre set to say you have to find X ores come back to base and next Challenge awaits.

Either way is there some shots you might be able to share with the community for feedback on as your working though this period of remaking the world ?.
lemonrev

Postby janx » Fri May 30, 2014 8:28 am

I'm glad y'all are making progress.

I'm actually OK with spending another $1 to get the new version. I'd like it if the game works well (for whatever feature set it has), so I don't have to hear my wife asking me why I keep playing that "crashy" game. There were times that DG and XM were downright unplayable for me.

I like the idea of zones that you can hop to. I'd like to offer one upgrade idea to it:
I've always wanted to see a game with Hyperlinked worlds. Meaning I start on my "world" and build a portal to your world, then I step through it and I'm on your system. then I can walk to a portal you built to somebody else's world.

This might not be possible yet, as you say, all guests are stuck to where the Host is. but one day, i'd like to see a game that does it.
The Leviathan Corporation
Director of Zoning, Infrastructure and Resource Control
http://theleviathanproject.wiki.zoho.com/Office-of-Zoning-Infrastructure-Resource-Control-ZIRC.html
ZM Script Designer: http://leviathanproject.host-ed.me/
janx

Postby Gristmill » Fri May 30, 2014 10:33 am

Hey lemonrev, thanks for the thoughts!

This post has only been up since yesterday, so we've moved from 60-70% done to maybe 60.05-70.05% done ;) That math should not be interpolated towards future results. ha.

We will continue to expand on PC, but we keep the games in lockstep for now. Basically diverging would just mean we have to constantly update and test two different games (they would rapidly become completely different) and Xbox is our primary source of income, PC doesn't come close (yet).

Multi worlds is definitely one outcome from a zoned setup, certainly.
Gristmill
Site Admin

Postby Gristmill » Fri May 30, 2014 10:38 am

Hey Janx good to hear from you :)

Stability is a big concern for us. We've learned a lot handling these peer-to-peer networks with XNA, and we're getting better each revision.

Hyperlinked worlds would be awesome. Definitely not a possibility (by a long shot) on the 360 ... now next gen Xbox, PS4 or PC ... that would be more possible. Mostly because those three would let us use a server rather than this janky peer-to-peer extravaganza we get to work with now. Not that a little p2p doesn't help smooth some things out, such as in FPS where you want rapid updates, but a lot of core code we run on the Host could be served instead and our lives would be a lot easier.
Gristmill
Site Admin

Postby Timpraetor » Fri May 30, 2014 2:46 pm

Let me start by saying that "I want it all and I want it now."

However, I really like the idea of compartmentalized zones. Even as vast as the Mass Effect universe is, each "Mass Relay" jump is simply eye (and ear) candy while the current "zone" is cleared and the new zone is loaded. I see nothing wrong with this and it could seriously simplify memory management of large worlds.
--==--
Tim
- brucoder on XBOX Live, Timpraetor on Steam and Desura
- Grav Boots - The official VDS - Venator Defense System!
True space exploration will become a reality when the governments get out of it and corporate greed takes the reins!
Timpraetor

Postby BushKillFalls » Fri May 30, 2014 5:05 pm

I believe someone mentioned that they thought the new Zone Feature would Load automatically when you reached the end of the screen and I'm not sure that is what Grist was suggesting. I think they were talking along the lines of selecting in your Game menu that you could select another zone to travel to which probably wouldn't share a Physical Border with another Zone you had Occupied so they wouldn't have to Render it also.

Is there a set Idea of how that would work or is it still in the air on the general specifics?

Also what Kind of Interface to move between Zones might there be? Like Tim suggested the Maneuvering Screen Mass Effect Used which would be an awesome way to move around if we ever did get Planetary Systems in the game like a Mini Game where we can attack and defend Planets.

Personally I have always liked a Global Map that maybe you had to build Scout Bots and launch them on a Hex Grid Map with the wonderful Curve Maps Displaying the World (As seen Below and With some Gristmill skill finagling it to work) so you can reveal Locked Zones that might give a heads up on what the Zones around you might be. Like a High Iron Containing Plateau Biome, and Alien Occupied Biome, or a Endurium Laiden Floating Island Biome. (Assuming that 1 Biome is 1 Zone or a Collection of 9 Biomes is a Zone as I am guessing you have to go with the grid setup) With a Map you could see if alien ships were in Orbit like NASA has with the Cool Curvy lines in Goldeneye with the Satellite 8-)
Spoiler: show

I'll make a Post about that last one later :D

Edit: Made the Post Here
Last edited by BushKillFalls on Sat May 31, 2014 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Xbox360 Gamertag :BushKillFalls
Leviathan Project : Officer of R&D
Leviathan Project 24/7 World : Host
BushKillFalls

PreviousNext

Return to XenoMiner Announcements