A Quick Door Explainer

Keep it to XenoMiner talk

A Quick Door Explainer

Postby Gristmill » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:39 pm

Here's a quick summary of how to use/make Doors:

Your basic component is a Door Frame. Each Door Frame type has its own max length, the lower tier frames are naturally shorter.

When you place a Door Frame, the face of the block you place it on determines which way the door goes (much like a piston in MC). If you place it while aiming at the side of a wall, it will extend from the side of the wall. If you place it while aiming at the floor, it will extend up, etc.

Once placed, aim at it and use X to interact. You will see yellow boxes extend from the frame. The boxes show how far the door goes: interact again to make it go 2. If it is a Heavy or Massive door, interact again and it will go 3, 4 ... etc. When you have interacted it to the length you want it to be, place DoorPanels or Glass where the yellow boxes were. As long as there are no empty spaces, any DoorPanel or Glass in the yellow boxes is now part of that door.

Add a switch to the DoorFrame.

Toggle the switch => Watch the door open. Toggle the switch again => Watch the door close.

For advanced users:

Conduit and DoorFrames carry signals, so you can run Conduit from your door to where you want the switch.

The Door can extend farther than you have door panels, this will let you "delay" it on close. The door will extend the empty spaces until finally extending the real panels. This allows you to sync up doors of multiple lengths. If you made a door that extended from above, for example, you could set a few frames side by side, each extending down. If you made them all 5 long, but only put 4 door panels every other row (leaving a blank at the bottom of that row), when you close the door you'll notice it maintains its toothed edge.

If someone in the community that has a good knack for using these doors wants to post a quick tutorial video to youtube, that could be pretty handy.

And here's a great tutorial made by none other than dstruxon! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2jyG3Al ... e=youtu.be
Last edited by Gristmill on Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: it's its ehhh
Gristmill
Site Admin

Re: A Quick Door Explainer

Postby R3vengekill » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:17 pm

Why can I not create a massive door? It says I need titanium but it does not say bar or ore but I have both?
Freefalling... Boosters engage... Booster failure... Aim for crash foam... Miss... Splat... Go pick up stuff after respawn.
R3vengekill

Postby TheFirstAxel » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:46 pm

Titanium is so rare and its a 1:1 Ore:Bar ratio, so you're better off just putting two of the 2nd tier door systems and linking them with an underground conduit system. I've gotten very good at hiding my conduits. Just wish the switch covered to conduit. Like a metal panel cover with the switch on it
Carpe Nocte
TheFirstAxel

Postby R3vengekill » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:33 am

Axel ithibk that u misunderstood me. I have titanium bar and ore but it wouldn't let me build massive door.
Freefalling... Boosters engage... Booster failure... Aim for crash foam... Miss... Splat... Go pick up stuff after respawn.
R3vengekill

Postby R3vengekill » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:34 am

What materials can be used for doors? I know th panel and glass but are there any others?
R3vengekill

Postby Mataeus » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:57 am

They're really easy to use, thank you they're great! I too wish the switch had a flat panel behind it. The wires sticking out look awful! Maybe add a second switch with back panel, so the original can be used without covering up door frames for those who attach them directly?
I'm going to try making a collapsable building and see how fast it works ;)
~~~ Vae Victis! ~~~
Mataeus

Postby Gristmill » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:30 am

The Massive Door recipe seems to be borked, we'll fix it in the patch.

Since we have a bit of time and it's just a recipe tweak, I'm experimenting with the balance of changing the ore to bar ratios to:

Copper/Aluminum 1 ore = 5 bars
Iron/Titanium/Gold/EnduriumHigh 1 ore = 3 bars

...that's not a firm decision yet though, especially regarding Endurium.
Gristmill
Site Admin

Postby shanethepyeguy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:29 pm

R3vengekill wrote:Why can I not create a massive door? It says I need titanium but it does not say bar or ore but I have both?

@R3vengekill

Thanks for bringing that up! I did notice that.
shanethepyeguy

Postby Reikaku » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:44 pm

Gristmill wrote:The Massive Door recipe seems to be borked, we'll fix it in the patch.

Since we have a bit of time and it's just a recipe tweak, I'm experimenting with the balance of changing the ore to bar ratios to:

Copper/Aluminum 1 ore = 5 bars
Iron/Titanium/Gold/EnduriumHigh 1 ore = 3 bars

...that's not a firm decision yet though, especially regarding Endurium.

Would the stack sizes of 100 stay the same? Because with the new 1:5 ratio, I'll have 2000 bars of copper if I converted all of my stockpile. :shock:
I quite enjoy mining out a 6x6x70 chunk of mountain while being bombarded by radiation. - Said No Bot Ever

Project 1: Alien Arena - Construction Phase

XBOX 360 Gamertag: Reikaku0823
Reikaku

Postby Gristmill » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:54 pm

Twenty stacks of copper, not bad. Now if it were Endurium, we could say it was Twenty Stacks of High Society ;)
Gristmill
Site Admin

Next

Return to XenoMiner Talk