A Quick Door Explainer

Keep it to XenoMiner talk

Re: A Quick Door Explainer

Postby Rider91 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:27 am

shanethepyeguy wrote:Having it as an avatar item is a great idea! Also the Bot as an accessory. Would be cool if it built a box around the avatar!
I'd buy them!

me too, and we can all support our developers in the best ways possible, promoting the game and contributing to their snacks fund (if they get any of the money from each sale) :D
o look, crash foam, i think i can hit it from here! Image missed it by THAT much!
Rider91

Postby epikpepsi » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:40 pm

Gristmill wrote:The Massive Door recipe seems to be borked, we'll fix it in the patch.

I love you Gristmill, you said borked. Dear lord, that would be painful to have my hand like the picture showed...
ALUMINUM! I KNOW YOU ARE HIDING YOU SHINY METAL BASTARDS! AND DIAMONDS! YOU HIDING HIM WITH YOU! GAAAAHGH!

- Real quote I used in game once.
epikpepsi

Postby Nicc0 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:41 pm

Hi,I was reading this topic and I'd like to share the idea of using the doors as elevators,just put the door frame on the ground then place the block on the way up,activate the switch when standing on the door frame and you will be lifted,the movement it's a bit slow and not fluid but I having fun creating elevators.
Sorry for bad english.
Nicc0

Postby UG FREEZEIY » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:32 pm

Gristmill wrote:Here's a quick summary of how to use/make Doors:

Your basic component is a Door Frame. Each Door Frame type has its own max length, the lower tier frames are naturally shorter.

When you place a Door Frame, the face of the block you place it on determines which way the door goes (much like a piston in MC). If you place it while aiming at the side of a wall, it will extend from the side of the wall. If you place it while aiming at the floor, it will extend up, etc.

Once placed, aim at it and use X to interact. You will see yellow boxes extend from the frame. The boxes show how far the door goes: interact again to make it go 2. If it is a Heavy or Massive door, interact again and it will go 3, 4 ... etc. When you have interacted it to the length you want it to be, place DoorPanels or Glass where the yellow boxes were. As long as there are no empty spaces, any DoorPanel or Glass in the yellow boxes is now part of that door.

Add a switch to the DoorFrame.

Toggle the switch => Watch the door open. Toggle the switch again => Watch the door close.

For advanced users:

Conduit and DoorFrames carry signals, so you can run Conduit from your door to where you want the switch.

The Door can extend farther than you have door panels, this will let you "delay" it on close. The door will extend the empty spaces until finally extending the real panels. This allows you to sync up doors of multiple lengths. If you made a door that extended from above, for example, you could set a few frames side by side, each extending down. If you made them all 5 long, but only put 4 door panels every other row (leaving a blank at the bottom of that row), when you close the door you'll notice it maintains its toothed edge.

If someone in the community that has a good knack for using these doors wants to post a quick tutorial video to youtube, that could be pretty handy.

And here's a great tutorial made by none other than dstruxon! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2jyG3Al ... e=youtu.be

If you have doors already placed and you have more than 79 doors to one switch it will crash the game unless you remove the switch before adding the new doors, i currently have 118 doors connected to one switch and i plan on adding more until i find the stopping point of how many doors their are i will update this when i find out the exact number.
Space is the final frontier why are we sitting here fighting when we can be out looking for XENOPODS!!!!
Doctor Who?Doctor Who?
THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE!!
Welcome to S.C.A.F.
UG FREEZEIY

Postby brian » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:08 pm

Keep in mind this won't be an exact number since you are dealing with memory limitations. While not a memory leak, some things like menus or actions can temporarily hold on to memory and if you reach the limit before memory has been reclaimed, you will crash. This may also leave your world in a less than playable state. You are stress testing the limits and have been warned :)
brian

Postby UG FREEZEIY » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:49 am

brian wrote:Keep in mind this won't be an exact number since you are dealing with memory limitations. While not a memory leak, some things like menus or actions can temporarily hold on to memory and if you reach the limit before memory has been reclaimed, you will crash. This may also leave your world in a less than playable state. You are stress testing the limits and have been warned :)

I understand I actually had to stop the test because it would stop loading my world after so many doors.i told my friend but he figured out that the less switches you have the better it will load even with massive amounts of doors and conduits
Space is the final frontier why are we sitting here fighting when we can be out looking for XENOPODS!!!!
Doctor Who?Doctor Who?
THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE!!
Welcome to S.C.A.F.
UG FREEZEIY

Postby sevas627 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:36 pm

I play the Xbox version, and maybe I'm missing something, but the door frame item doesn't do anything. I'll start by saying that the door frames in the video tutorials I've seen do not look like the door frames in my game. The ones in the tutorial were mostly flat, with rivets around the edges, I think. the door frames in my game have ridges, a bit like roofing tin. the is no interaction dialogue (X), and there are no transparent yellow size/direction selection boxes for the door panels in my game. They are just ridged walls labeled door panels; they don't actually do anything.
sevas627

Postby Gristmill » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:37 am

those are for panels, they make up the actual door. what you are looking for is a door frame, which is a different item.
Gristmill
Site Admin

Postby LUMPdizzle666 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:12 pm

So I'm wondering how stable the doors are on the pc. I have killed a few of my xbox worlds with very large and complex door systems. :D
LUMPdizzle666

Postby UG FREEZEIY » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:04 pm

LUMPdizzle666 wrote:So I'm wondering how stable the doors are on the pc. I have killed a few of my xbox worlds with very large and complex door systems. :D

I am wondering that my self because me and my friend want to make a whole world filled with doors one day.
Doctor Who?Doctor Who?
THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE!!
Welcome to S.C.A.F.
UG FREEZEIY

PreviousNext

Return to XenoMiner Talk