A Quick Door Explainer

Keep it to XenoMiner talk

Re: A Quick Door Explainer

Postby Merlinicus » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:27 pm

I think endurium should stay the way it is, to maintain the rarity, but I like the idea of the changes to the other ores.
Merlinicus

Postby TheFirstAxel » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:34 pm

Gristmill wrote:The Massive Door recipe seems to be borked, we'll fix it in the patch.

Since we have a bit of time and it's just a recipe tweak, I'm experimenting with the balance of changing the ore to bar ratios to:

Copper/Aluminum 1 ore = 5 bars
Iron/Titanium/Gold/EnduriumHigh 1 ore = 3 bars

...that's not a firm decision yet though, especially regarding Endurium.

I would love you. So much. So so so so so much :D
Carpe Nocte
TheFirstAxel

Postby Mataeus » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:38 am

don't be tempted to make it too easy... Balancing is fine, but we should be overjoyed when we hit a nice thread of rare ores!
~~~ Vae Victis! ~~~
Mataeus

Postby Gristmill » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:33 am

Rarity will remain the same, it's just a question of how many bars you get from each find. I think I agree about Endurium, just not sure Titanium should be a 1/1, I'm not even sure that was intentional at all.
Gristmill
Site Admin

Postby Zyra Miner » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:19 am

to me I think in part it would depend on what new recipes you might be planning in the future. For the recipes we have the ratios we have are not unbearable. However if new recipes emerge and the burden of need gets greater then it might be helpful to change the ratios for the higher ores. There is always 1ore to /2 bars before 1 to /3 if you want to ease it up :D .
Thank you for the new update!
See Bot. See Bot dig. Dig Bot, dig!
Zyra Miner

Postby Gristmill » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:23 am

Thanks Zyra. Love the sig. We may have to use that on a tshirt at some point ... if you don't mind. :D
Gristmill
Site Admin

Postby janx » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:25 am

Personally, I found the doors to be much more complicated and Daisy's explanation (which hinted at a visual tutorial that didn't exist) didn't help.

I initially over-built on dual door frames and door panels, expecting to place the door frames in a 3x6 pattern to create a 1x2 door way (for the door panels to go in).

I finally got it to work I used 2 door frames stacked and 2 door panels stacked adjacent and a switch.

Here's how I got it to work, in hopefully clear instructions:

drill out a 2x2 (2 wide by 2 tall x1 deep) doorway. Step into the gap and rotate right. back up against the left frame of the door. Place a door fram block at head height and one beneath it (not sure if bottom one is needed).

Now step out of the doorway and place 2 door panels in the now 1x2 doorway gap. Place a switch on the door frame block to activate the door.

Assuming this is an door to the outside, put the switch on the inside. You only need the door closed when you are inside the building anyway.

If the door frame really can activate 2 door panels (presumably in a line from the door frame), you could mount the frame block ABOVE the 2 door panels instead.

Some future tech ideas for the developers:
we're going to want to build an air lock, which is 2 doors, one to the outside, one to the rest of the facility which only one door is open at a time. That means a switch in the airlock chamber to open the outer door/close the inner door, and to flip flop it. That implies conduit from the switch to the door frames and an inverter block to reverse the signal (sends out ON when it recieves OFF).

I'm off to do a few experiments now that I have time to get back on...
The Leviathan Corporation
Director of Zoning, Infrastructure and Resource Control
http://theleviathanproject.wiki.zoho.com/Office-of-Zoning-Infrastructure-Resource-Control-ZIRC.html
ZM Script Designer: http://leviathanproject.host-ed.me/
janx

Postby Gristmill » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:29 am

Janx - other circuit controls would be sweet, and likely something you'll see. For now you can simulate that behavior by building a door, opening it and then building your second door (connected to the same switch). Now when you flip the switch one will open and the other will close, as they're not really sending an "on/off" as much as just a toggle (change state, on > off, off > on).
Gristmill
Site Admin

Postby eric » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:35 am

The video I posted for a feature preview of 1.30 shows a lot of door operation stuff and interacting with the frame block (massive door frame) to adjust the operating distance of the door. Might be a decent reference along with the tutorial for a visual of how doors are setup, until someone makes a better how-to video for door construction. Maybe someone can have a camera handy and post screen shots of each frame of the door tutorial too.

XenoMiner 1.30 features demo

There's a conduit/frame arrangement that I haven't had a chance to test yet but should logically work out of the box... If you have a switch that activates a series of frames to make a door but then run some conduit off of another one of the frame blocks, so that it's connected to the system but its path goes through door frame blocks and then conduit again to get to the switch, will frames connected to that side still be activated by the switch? They should, I just haven't had a chance to test that exact configuration, every one of my sets of door frames always had a direct conduit path to a switch.

Gristmill - I like that way of reworking the amount of bars produced, though EnduriumHigh should probably stay at 1 or 2. Changing EnduriumLow from 16 per bar to 8 per bar might be a good compromise to make endurium bars a little easier to produce.
Looking for more awesome XenoMiner info? There's a wiki for that! Learn! Share! Love :o :shock:
eric

Postby Rider91 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:43 am

Gristmill wrote:Rarity will remain the same, it's just a question of how many bars you get from each find. I think I agree about Endurium, just not sure Titanium should be a 1/1, I'm not even sure that was intentional at all.

with titanium to keep its somewhat rare value, why not do sort of a 2:3 ratio instead of 1:3, would give 33% more bars than ore rather than 200% more. keeps the rarity but also gives more bars - because once i started finding it, i kept finding it in veins the same size as copper veins

on a side note, the new endurium textures look almost like cobblestone, so if you want a moon castle you can use it for the pathways given you live near the floating islands that are packed with it
o look, crash foam, i think i can hit it from here! Image missed it by THAT much!
Rider91

PreviousNext

Return to XenoMiner Talk