Tips and Tricks

Keep it to XenoMiner talk

Re: Tips and Tricks

Postby Mataeus » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:03 am

Rider91 wrote:too bad its all low grade, you need 1600 blocks to get 100 bars, now if it was high grade, then you hit the jackpot! lol

Until I started a new game I'd only seen THREE blocks of Hi-End. That was in twelve hours play with fully upgraded gear and the lot :-(
~~~ Vae Victis! ~~~
Mataeus

Postby L0rddaniel » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:47 pm

I have excellent luck finding ores at these levels:

Endurium: one above bedrock. Leave a block between you and bedrock and branch mine. You will find it.

Diamonds: 21. I'm convinced this is the sweet-spot. I have too many diamonds. They're fun to build with.

Gold: 20-30. I usually find enough while looking for diamonds and...

Titanium: 28. Titanium is rare. I find it here, but it takes a while. Just found a 100 patch last night. Happy times.

Iron: 45ish branching for aluminum or copper gets me a lot if iron.

Aluminum: 40-50. I honestly have better luck exploring caves, though.

Copper: 40-60. Again, explore the caves.

Early game silicon can be easily found by digging to bedrock, finding a cave and stripping the walls.
L0rddaniel

Postby Cam 6k5 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:58 am

When adventuring on the surface carry a single external storage device (The first one you can get.).
Fill it up with ice ,health items. When ever I go caving i usually carry 4 storage units and for some reason my game doesn't really crash when there full so you could cave longer and explore longer.
Add me for in game help I'm always on "Cam 6k5" :geek:
When life gives you lemons ,make limeade and WATCH THE WORLD BURN!
Cam 6k5

Postby LoneMiner » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:50 am

I know as well as anyone copper and aluminum are relitively hard to find at times but iv got a sweet tip: red crystals. Why those? I noticed a vast amount of cave openings have those particular crystals in them which also must be underground. Plus those areas have the best concentration of those ores so grab a jetpack and fly. Ps. remove red crystals when done so you do not go back and they love to hide those 2 ores.
COD is for a wanna be Gears is for the hardcore but Borderlands is only for badasses
LoneMiner

Postby L0rddaniel » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:51 pm

Crystals and lit wall panels stop radiation now.
L0rddaniel

Postby wolfetm » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:37 pm

Somewhat in response/to add to LoneMiner's comment:

I usually try to come up with a lighting scheme to help me create visual queues to make navigation/exploration/building easier when my world becomes "more evolved" (as I mine/build more structures). For example, if I'm exploring, I don't always go into every cave I find, but rather, I mark it with a yellow light. When I go back to a yellow-lit cave to mine it (which now shows up as a yellow dot on the mini-map), after I'm done mining I remove the yellow light and replace it with red.

Red isn't the best color to use, necessarily, but it has been more abundant in my world than blue/green/magenta/cyan (and white is too close of a color to yellow). But, after a while, if I've remembered my color scheme, I know not to mine any caves with a red light, as I've already stripped it of valuable materials.

Beyond that, I intend to use different lights for different levels of structures (underground would be green ground would be white, above-ground would be blue, etc). That way structures I build will be more identifiable in vertical location on my minimap.
wolfetm

Postby Kid_Protocol » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:10 pm

With fully upgraded gear, you can withstand about 2.5 days of direct radiation without suffering any effects. Additionally, rads will slowly decrease over time (roughly 15 per night cycle in my experience).
Kid_Protocol

Postby Kid_Protocol » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:33 pm

When programming the bot, use macros in such a way that it enables you to easily expand the program.

Example:

You want to make a 10x10 platform with the bot. Instead of just programming it to make the platform, why not leave it so that you can "hook" it with more commands to easily expand it to 20x20 or even 100x100! This can be done relatively easily using the macros (and macros within macros).

For a 10x10 platform you could do this:

code is: move down, move forward, 55555

macro (1) is: place material A under, move forward
macro (2) is: 1111111111

this gives you a 10x1 row

macro (3) is a turnaround: turn right, move forward, turn right, move forward
macro (4) is the opposite turnaround: turn left, move forward, turn left, move forward
macro (5) is: 2324

now macro (5) makes a 2x10 platform. repeat it 5 times to make it a 10x10.

if you want to make it 20x20 just change macro (5) to "223224" and repeat it 10x instead of 5.

Extend as necessary.
Kid_Protocol

Postby Timpraetor » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:39 am

The little diamond / arrow on the mini map always points to your crash site, not North!
--==--
Tim
- brucoder on XBOX Live, Timpraetor on Steam and Desura
- Grav Boots - The official VDS - Venator Defense System!
True space exploration will become a reality when the governments get out of it and corporate greed takes the reins!
Timpraetor

Postby D Ruffin » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:04 pm

Gravity boots can be used for extremely fast travel. On the surface, set up a pole of basalt and put a crystal on top. Then activate your grav boots so the way you want to travel is now down. Fall. When the grav boots turn off automatically, place another basalt/ crystal pole three or four blocks ahead of where you landed. Make sure not to collide with objects on the way "down". Also be sure not to get to far away from the ground. Hope this helps!
D Ruffin

PreviousNext

Return to XenoMiner Talk