Tips and Tricks

Keep it to XenoMiner talk

Re: Tips and Tricks

Postby kname » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:54 pm

The bot is better than you. Seriously. It is immune to radiation, can mine anything even from the start, will do any menial tasks that you don't want to, can make things like floating islands, and won't complain if you get bored and start kicking it for accidentally hiding all your silicon. The radiation immunity makes it great for gathering regolith during the day, and the fact that it can mine anything is the only reason i have more than 2 bars of endurium right now. the only thing it needs to be perfect is the intelligence to mine any ores it sees and to dig a bit faster. If you don't use the bot, you are crippling your ability to gather resources. If you don't know how to write scripts for it, there are some good ones on the forum and if you send me a message i will write one up for you.
kname

Extreme fast traveling!

Postby PhiliChez » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:01 pm

Using gravity boots, put your feet on a wall so down is where you want to go. Dig a 1x1 tunnel below your feet. At your destination, make a space large enough to stand in with your feet pointing at the real down. The construction of this tunnel is dangerous for the same reason digging straight down is dangerous, but the finished product is worth it. A tunnel that you can fall through for thousands of blocks without the emergency override activating, except at the end, where even the smallest space that you can stand upright in will allow the override to end your trip safely and with no damage. If you feel extra cautious, you can place crash foam at the end or place it when the tunnel is too short to activate the emergency override. If you tunnel through open spaces, make sure to enclose your 1x1 tunnel to protect from radiation and early emergency reorientation. When you fall, you will pass the rendered areas, allowing you to see all the underground caves behind you before they derender.

I can now travel hundreds of blocks to get to the nearest floating islands in about 15 seconds. Yay
Casually Traveling At Terminal Velocity
PhiliChez

Postby Gristmill » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:23 pm

LOL Nice
Gristmill
Site Admin

Re: Extreme fast traveling!

Postby tetsuo » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:19 pm

PhiliChez wrote:Using gravity boots, put your feet on a wall so down is where you want to go. Dig a 1x1 tunnel below your feet. At your destination, make a space large enough to stand in with your feet pointing at the real down. The construction of this tunnel is dangerous for the same reason digging straight down is dangerous, but the finished product is worth it.

I do the same thing (in a few variations). In regards to danger, just let the bot do the 1x tunnel digging and place 1 crash foam at the end. then hop in and touch up the tunnel (still carries some risk if the tunnel opens up into outside or a cave, but it's safer than simply digging down.

I never tried it (successfully) without crash foam - that's an awesome tip! I've only died twice in this game in who-knows-how-many hours of play... in both cases experimenting with gravboot rapid transit and the safety mechanism. I'm not sure what caused the deaths, but the configuration was more open at the ends than the design you describe. Your post gives me confidence to revisit crashfoam-less transit tunnels - I'm overly cautious as I made the mistake of building all of my cool stuff too far away from my spawn point before I realized that there was no bed mechanism in the game :/

Here's another variation if you want something that's a bit easier to traverse in normal G but still works for rapid horizontal transit:

a 2x1 tunnel with alternating single blocks of crash foam every N blocks, where N is just shy of the safety mechanism (can't remember the number off hand - takes some experimentation). You can then "fall" sideways, jumping from block to block in very long segments. Not as fast as the 1x1 tunnel to "cheat" the safety catch, but still many MANY times faster than walking. If for any reason you want to traverse the tunnel on foot, you can clear three blocks opposite each crashfoam hopping point.
tetsuo

Postby PhiliChez » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:37 am

tetsuo wrote:
PhiliChez wrote:Using gravity boots, put your feet on a wall so down is where you want to go. Dig a 1x1 tunnel below your feet. At your destination, make a space large enough to stand in with your feet pointing at the real down. The construction of this tunnel is dangerous for the same reason digging straight down is dangerous, but the finished product is worth it.

I do the same thing (in a few variations). In regards to danger, just let the bot do the 1x tunnel digging and place 1 crash foam at the end. then hop in and touch up the tunnel (still carries some risk if the tunnel opens up into outside or a cave, but it's safer than simply digging down.

I never tried it (successfully) without crash foam - that's an awesome tip! I've only died twice in this game in who-knows-how-many hours of play... in both cases experimenting with gravboot rapid transit and the safety mechanism. I'm not sure what caused the deaths, but the configuration was more open at the ends than the design you describe. Your post gives me confidence to revisit crashfoam-less transit tunnels - I'm overly cautious as I made the mistake of building all of my cool stuff too far away from my spawn point before I realized that there was no bed mechanism in the game :/

Here's another variation if you want something that's a bit easier to traverse in normal G but still works for rapid horizontal transit:

a 2x1 tunnel with alternating single blocks of crash foam every N blocks, where N is just shy of the safety mechanism (can't remember the number off hand - takes some experimentation). You can then "fall" sideways, jumping from block to block in very long segments. Not as fast as the 1x1 tunnel to "cheat" the safety catch, but still many MANY times faster than walking. If for any reason you want to traverse the tunnel on foot, you can clear three blocks opposite each crashfoam hopping point.

All true, sometimes I have taken damage because I was hugging the floor as a I flew along, or the safety mechanism didn't happen and I crashed at the entrance near my spawn. Also, I do a variation of the 1x2 tunnels where I have two block grooves in the ceiling, I jump and change my down using the grooves, and I do it again till I reach my destination.

My only issue is that I moved to a floating island that is very far from spawn, and death means a very long walk. Hmm, maybe I should make spare g boots near my spawn as a fast way to return to my death pile. But I think things so far are good, I have new underground areas to explore beneath ice trees and crystal capped mountains, good bye featureless hills, hello floating islands.
PhiliChez

Postby Mataeus » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:09 am

Hi guys, I'd love to se a video of this in practice as I'm not completely sure what you all mean :?
~~~ Vae Victis! ~~~
Mataeus

Postby tetsuo » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:47 pm

Mataeus wrote:Hi guys, I'd love to se a video of this in practice as I'm not completely sure what you all mean :?

I don't have a means of making a decent video from an Xbox game, but here's a way for you to safely try this out:

- build a 2-block high, 1-block wide tunnel that is about 20 blocks long.
- leave the tunnel closed off on one end. At this end, place crash foam
- at the entrance, stand just to the side and use your gravity boots to stand on the wall next to your tunnel entrance, which will now be relatively "down"
- jump in!

You'll "fall" sideways and then land safely on the crash foam. Now lengthen the tunnel and repeat this process.

Eventually, when you've made this 2x1 tunnel long enough, instead of making it all the way to the crash foam, you will suddenly halt mid-fall. this is the grav boots' safety mechanism kicking in, where it will reset your orientation once you reach terminal velocity.

Then come up with your own experiments and designs from there. I died a couple times experimenting with all of this, so here are some general tips:

- don't allow your tunnel to open up into the outdoors or a cavern in the middle of the tunnel. Keep it fully enclosed for the part you wish to transit.
- use crash foam! you dont take fall damage as long as you land directly on crash foam
- take as much gear/inventory off as you can, so if you DO die, it's quicker to recover your stuff and sort out inventory.
tetsuo

Postby epikpepsi » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:29 pm

PhiliChez wrote:Using gravity boots, put your feet on a wall so down is where you want to go. Dig a 1x1 tunnel below your feet. At your destination, make a space large enough to stand in with your feet pointing at the real down. The construction of this tunnel is dangerous for the same reason digging straight down is dangerous, but the finished product is worth it. A tunnel that you can fall through for thousands of blocks without the emergency override activating, except at the end, where even the smallest space that you can stand upright in will allow the override to end your trip safely and with no damage. If you feel extra cautious, you can place crash foam at the end or place it when the tunnel is too short to activate the emergency override. If you tunnel through open spaces, make sure to enclose your 1x1 tunnel to protect from radiation and early emergency reorientation. When you fall, you will pass the rendered areas, allowing you to see all the underground caves behind you before they derender.

I can now travel hundreds of blocks to get to the nearest floating islands in about 15 seconds. Yay.

I adapted this method for reaching distant areas to mine quickly. VERY useful.
ALUMINUM! I KNOW YOU ARE HIDING YOU SHINY METAL BASTARDS! AND DIAMONDS! YOU HIDING HIM WITH YOU! GAAAAHGH!

- Real quote I used in game once.
epikpepsi

Postby PhiliChez » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:07 pm

I'm glad that I could make a few good ideas, and that people agree that they are. That idea also inspired my new signature.
PhiliChez

Postby TheFirstAxel » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:35 am

Build a 3x3 hut with walls and a door and a ceiling made of crash foam (or a wall of crash foam. Or the whole thing of crash foam). Have your bot dig a 1 square tunnel to the bottom (or wherever you want to go) and place blocks after he digs so your tunnel is enclosed the entire way. Build a hut there as well with crash foam wherever you will be landing. Use your gravity boots to change the gravity so the tunnel is a hole in your perspective floor. Jump in and enjoy the trip. This way you don't have to worry about the safety kicking in or about getting hurt when you reach the end

Edit: I just found out that this will not work for a tunnel that you need to *fall* up through. Your safety can still kick in after about forty blocks. I fixed that by making a room 5x5x5 at about the 36 block mark of my tunnel and placing a crash foam block in the center. Worked quite nicely
Carpe Nocte
TheFirstAxel

PreviousNext

Return to XenoMiner Talk