[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Gristmill Studios Forum • View topic - New player model

New player model

Keep it to XenoMiner talk

New player model

Postby still crosshair » Wed May 28, 2014 8:37 pm

Seen a new post from Gristmill about the idea of a new player model with animations along with other things. I will link the post and other stuff below. Now I have several questions about this new model along with other things. My first one is will we have the chance to use/have the old model available. I know it may not be what you wanted but I fill it has a original feeling to it that should not be just thrown in the dump to be forgotten. I know it may be different from the new model but that is not bad. It simply adds character to the model. My second question is why have you guys decided to go with this new model over the old. Is it because its easy to modify with skin customization or are there other reasons ? My last question for now at least is if there will be a way to view said character with new/custom skin? I would think the suits to still cover most of the model if not all of the model. Meaning perhaps removal of suit via pressurized areas and a way to view your skin/model from a menu of some kind.
That's all for now guys I really hope this works out for you.

LINK to Message

The mod-able player block model we're working on...

still crosshair

Re: New player model

Postby still crosshair » Wed May 28, 2014 8:38 pm

Also happy Bday to mobpolitics :)
still crosshair

Postby BriarFae » Thu May 29, 2014 6:44 am

Cool

if it will be customizable only on pc,
will you add animation to the xbox avatar as well?

my avatar is wearing a spacesuit. :D
BriarFae

Postby Gristmill » Thu May 29, 2014 10:44 am

This is still a work in progress.

We decided to try this look out because ... we like to try things ;) Never been terribly happy with the mini-voxel avatar we have now and we'd like to do better.

This version, like almost every other voxel game, would be a simpler "cube man" setup that would allow people to easily re-skin it to their desires. It would also support transparency (we hope). The current version you're looking at is actually an "armored" version, so those larger cubes on the shoulders, shins, lower arms and thighs could also not be there. You'd have a standard skin and then the armored pieces that could be placed on top. We're hoping this can lead to some pretty cool space-suits or military outfits, as well as civilian/engineer star-trek jumpsuit and special op skinsuit looks. Pretty much you'll have a much wider range of pieces to work with, which is what we're aiming for. The head currently is also a helmet, there's a slightly smaller cube inside for a non-helmeted head, and it would show through any transparent visor texture put on the helmet itself.

Avatar animations on the Xbox are actually a terribly big pain in the ass, I can't make any promises there, though we do have it on the list of things that needs doing.
Gristmill
Site Admin

Postby still crosshair » Thu May 29, 2014 2:44 pm

Okay makes sense I would say. Although I would rather things like helmets and suits have their own unchangeable skin. Mainly because then I know what suit everyone has and if they could do with a better one. Another thing would be if PVP ever got into the game. I would know if he had high or low armor seeing as some suits have high while others have low. So If I have low and he has high I may not want to fight him. But if its a custom skin I have no clue. I know a lot of people would disagree with me on this because it opens up what you can do. But I personaly would want some way to know what kind of suit your wearing. As for unsuited skin that would be fully customization to the player. I know you have the suit on about 95% of the time but that 5% could be you hanging out with friends in your pressurized base without your suit on.
still crosshair

Postby Gristmill » Thu May 29, 2014 3:08 pm

Good points on the armor, we'll have to keep that in consideration.
Gristmill
Site Admin

Postby still crosshair » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:35 pm

Whatever happen to this?
still crosshair

Return to XenoMiner Talk