Decontamination Shower

Talk about things you'd like to see in the game

Decontamination Shower

Postby janx » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:00 am

I'm not big on being able to cure radiation poisoning (I think it would be a cool game mechanic if it couldn't be cured)

However, instead of using potions to cure it, let's make a new block, the Decontamination Shower.

It gets placed on the ceiling, and points down. Standing under it would reduce radiation by 1 point per second (or whatever feels right, game-wise).

Part of the goal here is to come up with more interior decoration blocks, to populate a sci-fi environment.

Note: i also don't like the potions, because I am always using them up accidentally when I mis-pick on the hot-bar and don't realize I've selected a potion when I am trying to place a block.
The Leviathan Corporation
Director of Zoning, Infrastructure and Resource Control
http://theleviathanproject.wiki.zoho.com/Office-of-Zoning-Infrastructure-Resource-Control-ZIRC.html
ZM Script Designer: http://leviathanproject.host-ed.me/
janx

Re: Decontamination Shower

Postby still crosshair » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:00 pm

I like the idea of a reusable radiation cleaner it would be cheaper than making the rads over and over. For now I just put the rads and meds if the hot bar unless needed.
The randoms are out there.Tell us about some of them or read about them all here http://forums.gristmillstudios.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3860
6 :)

Spoiler: show

still crosshair

Postby JohnnyBlood » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:10 pm

I hate to rain on your parade ( get it? rain? shower?) we're in space. liquid + space = clogged pipes. also where would this unlimited supply of decontamination liquid come from? the pills they have now just seems to make more sense and does not disobey the laws of physics and matter
Leroy T. Pumpkin
JohnnyBlood

Postby BeastUnchaind » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:31 pm

Not sure if laws of physics is the best argument against this being that it is a game where we store items between space and time, and radiation literally goes away overnight. That being said it would be a little game breaking if the shower had an unlimited number of uses. As it is the meds are an incentive to find materials. maybe I can expand on this idea by suggesting the ability/equipment to melt down Ice and have a reservoir to feed the showers
BeastUnchaind

Postby janx » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:17 pm

And maybe it's sci-fi energy cleaning stuff (like StarTrek) and not an actual water shower.

We're basically looking to invent more blocks to decorate the interiors that fit a sci-fi setting.

and to have those blocks be useful, not just look pretty
http://theleviathanproject.wiki.zoho.com/Office-of-Zoning-Infrastructure-Resource-Control-ZIRC.html
janx

Postby UG FREEZEIY » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:01 pm

and if there is a set usage there should be something like when you put your crosshair on it it will show how much it has left, cause if you take out pills and your at 90% rads and climbing its gonna be hard to see where your going
Space is the final frontier why are we sitting here fighting when we can be out looking for XENOPODS!!!!
Doctor Who?Doctor Who?
THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE!!
Welcome to S.C.A.F.
UG FREEZEIY

Postby janx » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:21 pm

UG FREEZEIY wrote:and if there is a set usage there should be something like when you put your crosshair on it it will show how much it has left, cause if you take out pills and your at 90% rads and climbing its gonna be hard to see where your going

right now, nothing really has a set usage. One of the design themes for the pile of ideas I put out is that each item is a single block, and has no interaction with other blocks.

So no plumbing, or calculations to make it work. At most, the device pops you to a new screen (like managing your bot), which doesn't have to be super complicated or 3d computed.

By requiring X to activate it, the game doesn't have to deal with its special feature until then. Perhaps each hit reduces 10% radiation (I don't think the potions should totally cure either). In any event, keep it simple.
janx

Postby Mataeus » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:04 am

If I may be so bold as to say to the posters above, when talking about the realism behind having a decontamination shower you should have stopped at the "We're in space" part.
Forget whether it's realistic or not, as has been pointed out elsewhere the whole premise of the game isn't realistic, nor is it meant to be!
From a gameplay / fun perspective, I think this idea is far, far better than being able to heal radiation as and when we like. Especially with the cheap cost of the green anti-rad stuff you can create. And especially as it heals you all in one go.
In short, I'm up for this!
~M~
~~~ Vae Victis! ~~~
Mataeus

Postby UG FREEZEIY » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:18 am

Mataeus wrote:If I may be so bold as to say to the posters above, when talking about the realism behind having a decontamination shower you should have stopped at the "We're in space" part.
Forget whether it's realistic or not, as has been pointed out elsewhere the whole premise of the game isn't realistic, nor is it meant to be!
From a gameplay / fun perspective, I think this idea is far, far better than being able to heal radiation as and when we like. Especially with the cheap cost of the green anti-rad stuff you can create. And especially as it heals you all in one go.
In short, I'm up for this!
~M~

i am farely certain a bunch already know its in space and not realistic, but since its not realistic it would be to the whole point of having it since there is gravity yet we are in space, unless they plan on adding zero gravity generators the idea of a decontaimination shower would be entirely plausible for this game, we could even have the community vote more for stuff like this and ZG and it woukd help the DEVS out on what the community wants in the game instead of just post after post getting buried.(everyone should look at the old posts there is a lot of great ideas in them and a bunch that get repeated due to not taking time to look.)
Space is the final frontier why are we sitting here fighting when we can be out looking for XENOPODS!!!!
Doctor Who?Doctor Who?
THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE!!
Welcome to S.C.A.F.
UG FREEZEIY

Postby Mataeus » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:25 am

I've toyed with the idea of creating a topic with a list of all current ideas, hyperlinked to their topic page and split into genres.
However it would need locking to random replies, monitoring daily and stickying so a moderator would be the best person to do it. I've been thinking of doing it for a couple of weeks now. I have applied for the post of moderator but am yet to receive a reply. That's not surprising; it takes a lot of trust to pass that level or responsibility to a relative stranger!
~~~ Vae Victis! ~~~
Mataeus

Next

Return to Feature Requests