Schematics

Talk about things you'd like to see in the game

Schematics

Postby brian » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:55 pm

From time to time in the request, we get equipment and block requests. If you have suggestions for these, put them in this thread. When we break out of coding to add these, they'll be in one easy to review spot instead of us having to page through all the feature requests. By equipment - i'm talking items you can equip like armor, helmet or boots - not a land rover.

Blocks (generally) have the least technical requirements - just art and a schematic. Items that just enhance current properties (like damage/radiation resistance for armor) are about the same. Blocks like doors and items that have special abilities are a bit more work.

Post a name, description and blocks/items required to make it. You can even name it after yourself - we may keep the name :)
If you have a quick idea and just want to share without thinking of all the details of description or schematics, post it anyway - others may help flesh it out for you. If you have an idea of how it should look, a quick sketch will help.
brian

Re: Schematics

Postby Conmaan » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:45 am

Lore related objects are a must have.

One thing I would love to see is a "Holo-Display" Block. It would project a semi-transparent blue touchscreen one block above it which, when interacted with, would act like a scrollable book (one would be able to scroll up/down to read the contents of the display).

From a creative perspective-
Players could customize this to type out things that they would like players to read. On adventure style maps this would be useful for creating one's own lore for their world. On basic servers, this would be useful in stating rules of that server or certain missions/goals that a player has.

From a Game Mechanic Perspective-
The Holo-Display would be able to be placed with pre-determined text on a world in a generated structure (on Xenominer) to explain some much needed lore. It could be a log from a previous settler, or could be found within the ruins of crashed spaceships. In (Xenominer Swarm) the Holo-Display would be able to be interacted with for similar lore-related reasons. What the Display says would be semi-randomized in Swarm, and would depend on the mission. It would also fit best with some of the suggested missions on the suggestions thread in the Swarm section.

If this is added to the game, it would also be nice to be able to view every Holo-Display display that a player has interacted with while the item is in one's inventory. This item could be named the "Holo-Log".

In Swarm, it would be best if the lore can only be viewed via the main menu, as a player will most likely not have the time to read through several pages of text.

EDIT: I apologize for the wall of text, and the lack of a diagram. Hopefully my explanation is enough :P
EDIT 2: On browsing the forum, I found a thread by the name of Xenominer Lore which had some great concept art that looked pretty much like what I envisioned the block/item to resemble.
Conmaan

Postby BriarFae » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:02 am

Holo-projecter signs.

Use the force field door from Swarm, but intangible.
You write on it by using X like a forge.

Good for labels, sign posts, warnings, instructions, a note, etc.
if you can read this your to close
BriarFae

Postby still crosshair » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:18 am

I hope its Okay if I link some existing topics in case you want to look at them and it keeps me from making a wall of text about them on here.

First off is the artifact block that has a concept texture that could be used in the game however its "special" properties may take time to input. Its also xenomorph origin so no crafting recipe.This block adds more lore to the xenomorphs and could add even more to the game then people think. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3907

Next is the crash foam boots topic and I think the name says enough. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3795

Next is The striped blocks everyone wants. I have 2 textures that could be used and could make more varieties in colors. Its simply a block with 2 textures you can simply steal and use right now if you wanted.

I guess last for now is some form of player model block. This could simply be a block that projects the player model or a physical block.It could also double as an armor stand and hold extra armor tools and weapons. Could be used on adventure styled maps to represent people or could also give players the ability to share armor and other stuff like weapons without dropping them on the ground.
The TCD 1471 !!!
Spoiler: show

still crosshair

Postby BushKillFalls » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:22 pm

I really like this Texture and think it makes a great Door, Wall Panel, Retaining Wall, Crate, Massive Crate, I can go on :D

Heck even 4 sides this and 2 sides Top and Front a computer screen for a tech block series to spice things up in our abodes 8-)

Thinking like 2 Aluminum makes 1 Block
Xbox360 Gamertag :BushKillFalls
Leviathan Project : Officer of R&D
Leviathan Project 24/7 World : Host
BushKillFalls

Postby still crosshair » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:54 pm

BushKillFalls wrote:
I really like this Texture and think it makes a great Door, Wall Panel, Retaining Wall, Crate, Massive Crate, I can go on :D

Heck even 4 sides this and 2 sides Top and Front a computer screen for a tech block series to spice things up in our abodes 8-)

Thinking like 2 Aluminum makes 1 Block

It looks like a more advanced version of the Aluminum crossbars we already have. Of course if you really want that depth it could be applied to the in game crossbars as well. Could call it reinforced crossbars or strengthen crossbars. I mean you even already have it being made with aluminum it almost feels natural to just call it a more advanced version of the crossbars.
The TCD 1471 !!!
Spoiler: show

still crosshair

Postby AaronCrater » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:44 pm

Sorry for reposting this i should have checked this topic before posting.
I would like to see an item that would disable weapon use within a certain range, would be helpful to stop griefing/ players from busting out of the containment fields people tend to build in spawns.

Another feature i wouldnt mind seeing would be a similar field to disable jetpacks/ grav boots that way you could make certain areas of the map inaccessible unless the given permission, similar to a drawbridge.
"One mind can only think of it's own questions; it rarely surprises itself."
AaronCrater

Postby treos » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:36 pm

woohoo, another great tech gather run (2400 endurium and 3600 titanium in one mission) er...back to the topic at hand >.> (i just love those highly profitable missions is all)

1. expanding on bushkillfalls idea (nice looking texture), perhaps you could make another use for crystals as well as metallic blocks like that. don't know about the recipe...maybe, glass, steel, and the crystal color of your choice? basically it'd be a chunk of glowing crystal encased in glass/clear diamond with the thin horizontal bars and thicker steel bars forming the vertical and x-shaped portions. a defensive yet well lit form of building block.

2. oo or have it where the thin horizontal parts are gaps for light to pass through with the inner horizontal portions being metal plates as well.

shame i'm no good with art myself. maybe if i had a pic of that texture turned around and not at a angle like...wait, of course... see each pic matching the numbers (no artist but i can use that pic to help point out what i'm talking about. thats good enough, right?).

http://imgur.com/9sTcWKo,sUmXZAR
treos

Postby RoadKill » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:03 am

I think the crates from Swarm might be good. Maybe some blocks that look like chairs or stools? Maybe a block that looks like a table as well? At the verry least, I would like the stuff that the Swarm code is suppost to unlock to be finnaly added!
RoadKill

Return to Feature Requests