Insanity Meter/Going Insane

Talk about things you'd like to see in the game

Insanity Meter/Going Insane

Postby FORGE9unsc705 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:28 am

Insanity would be a great way to improve the game, and it makes tons of sense. You're stranded on a hostile moon, hunted by alien creatures under the surface and baked like a frozen pizza on the crust. If it were me I would be pulling my hair out and sucking my thumb in a corner.
I suggest making it so you HAVE to talk to Daisy, maybe do human activities such as sleep or eat. If we don't do these things it would drive the meter up slowly, but only after a set time do you don't have to constantly do these activities.
Stuff that would drive the meter up would be the lack of light, alien noises nearby, and not talking to Daisy. Stuff to keep it at bay could be anything, seeing as there isn't much in the game to help with that yet. Maybe add a function to the bot that lets it roam around, or allow it to be customized, and keeping it around helps stay focused.
Now off this seems alright but I know- its another bar at the top of the screen that everyone will hate... But that's not all. I suspect being insane would add some cool stuff. You would see structures, people, aliens, and even ships that aren't really there. And after it gets high enough, it wouldn't be smart to keep a weapon on you while you write on the walls with your own blood. It would be something to manage for those endgame players to do, since most would have enough energy and oxygen for the rest of their lives and all they do is strip mine the whole surface.
Please let me know what all of you fellow players think of this, I would love to have it personally but hearing what others think helps expand the idea.
FORGE9unsc705

Re: Insanity Meter/Going Insane

Postby still crosshair » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:50 pm

Reminds me of the game Don't Starve and how that game had a insanity feature. Of course I do not see any flowers nearby to pick. A simple solution would be a companion cube. Something with a face on it maybe, like Wilson from castaway. Just being near it would slowly improve your sanity. Kinda like how the vent system works. I suggest a block since that is less to load then a model. If models were not a problem I would make suit stands everywhere. Treat them like real people, kinda like Will Smith did with manikins in I am Legend. I personally suggest adding Leroy ;) as the companion block. In case people do not know what I am talking about I will explain. A member of the community Johnny Blood made a load of you-tube videos on xenominer. He took a block (orange crystal because its the only orange block) called it Leroy and talked to it during his xenominer series. So to add Leroy would be a great reference. Of course it would take forever to regain sanity like this, to encourage other methods.
The TCD 1471 !!!
Spoiler: show

still crosshair

Postby FORGE9unsc705 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:09 am

I've been trying to list out what would happen if you were insane, but so far I don't have much. I haven't played Don't Starve but I'm sure it leads to death when you let that meter get too high. Of course this would have to be the case too in Xenominer, but like mentioned before there could be many things that could happen. The easiest thing to do would have Venators attack you that aren't really there, or to sometimes be forced to turn around randomly. However this whole idea would probably be better in a later update when there is more in the game to see, like ships and people. Structures could be something that wouldn't take too much effort, seeing metal panels and lights in caves only for it to be just basalt, though the mini map could ruin something like that. I'm mostly suggesting this because this game is scary, and after 20 hours of play I'm mostly letting the bot work because I'm too lazy/afraid to head out into the dark or leave my home for too long.
FORGE9unsc705

Postby still crosshair » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:30 am

Shadow monsters start to appear in Don't Starve and after you loose so much sanity they become deadly shadow monsters that hurt you. The screen is also shaky. You could rip your suit off to get the "bugs" off or out from under your skin. Could see two suns in the sky and even see fake HUD stats. Like the heartbeat sensor being flat-lined and oxygen/battery never moving or being empty. Another fun one would be seeing people at the edge of your draw distance, then they vanish. The good old radiation effect could also happen. There are a variety of options available for use.
The TCD 1471 !!!

still crosshair

Postby shadowwraith » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:08 pm

The shadow monster thing sounds similar to metro 2033's ghosts, although with it being an alien world... something similar in appearance to the shadows from the old 90's scifi Babylon 5 would fit in nicely
shadowwraith

Postby QWERQY » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:47 pm

I quite like that idea. It sounds like an eextremely interesting thing to play with and it would be cool to see what the guys at gristmill would do with it. If it did happen
Tales of Antydra: Ignoble. Go read the first two words of "part: 1"

https://youtu.be/nKlvEgRZkrk
Best music ever^
QWERQY

Postby still crosshair » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:55 am

I even went and worked on a symmetrical texture for good old Leroy.

The TCD 1471 !!!

still crosshair

Return to Feature Requests